26. Home, Sweet Home

The doors to the big mansion opened slowly, then slammed shut. The sound echoed out over the long, open hallway as Edwin stepped deeper inside. His eyes, burning and red, hurt to keep open. He stood there in silence for a second, his thoughts blinding him, then clenched his fists around the jacket holder next to him and aggressively swung it sideways onto the floor. That felt a little bit better, for a mere second. He started making his way through the Dongcock mansion. His shoes got thrown off, left scattered over the middle of the room, but he couldn't care less. His footsteps echoed. The room around him, which usually felt airy and refreshing with it's tall ceiling and richly decorated walls, suddenly felt like it was swallowing him alive. Edwin ran his fingers through his hair as he turned into the kitchen and slowly sunk down onto one of the chairs, closing his eyes as he took a deep breath. He knew he'd be alone for a long time, his family was usually kept rather busy. It was the middle of the day and everyone had their own things to get done. He was more than thankful for that since he simply wouldn't be able to stand having anyone try to hold a conversation with him at this moment. For now, it was just him and the room and the slight sound of the breeze against the kitchen's massive window. Besides the suited men always standing guards around the walls of the mansion, of course, but those were equal to the air. 
"He's fucking gone, I can't believe-" Edwin's low voice couldn't bear to do more than mumble. He couldn't bring himself to finish his sentence as he stared down at his trembling hands. He laid his head down against the table, feeling the mix of rage and sadness grow more and more for every passing second as his thoughts raced uncontrollably all over the place.

Where was Ethan, why wasn't he picking up his phone and who was he with? And the question Edwin feared the most, would he be back? Would things be okay? He just couldn't stand the thoughts, but they refused to leave his head. He didn't know how to express anything but rage as his eyes became wet with tears once more. Edwin sighed heavily and pulled himself back up onto his feet, walking around the room for a while. By pure impulse, he grabbed onto the basket of fruits on the table and threw it onto the ground with a loud, angry groan.
"Fuck!" He yelled out, kicking the basket on the floor and watching it hit the wall as the tears streamed down his pale cheeks.

"What did mother's fruit basket do to you?" A deep voice came from behind Edwin and he quickly spun around to stare up at the big figure. His brother leaning against the open door frame between the kitchen and one of the living room areas. Feng looked down at the basket on the floor, then back up at Edwin with a frown. "She has worked hard to make that one. Do not wander around here, throwing and launching items which she has dear, as you please. Merely because you are feeling impulsive? What has gotten into you?" Feng scolded his younger brother. He glared at Edwin, who stared back coldly at him.
"Stop! Just- Just be quiet!" Edwin yelled out, as Feng walked into the kitchen and picked up the basket, placing it down onto the counter besides him. Edwin's voice was on the verge of breaking. He raised a shaky hand up and wiped some tears from his face. "I don't care about that, it's just some fruits and a basket it doesn't matter." He mumbled under his breath, taking a step back and looking down at the floor. He hated standing so close to Feng. His brother was so much taller and wider than him, it made Edwin feel like an ant. Edwin started to make his way out of the kitchen, but Feng followed, slowly but sternly, behind him with crossed arms.
"What has gotten into you?" Feng repeated himself. "You have been gone all night, again. Not a single answer on your phone, not one guard knows your whereabouts. Then you show up throwing items this way and that like an angry child. Where have you been? What have you done? You need to learn how to collect your emotions, Edwin."

Edwin suddenly stopped in his track and turned around to glare up at Feng for a long moment, then he scoffed. 
"Christ! Stop pretending like you care about me Feng, I've been out with- With Ethan, all night, okay? You have no reason to get up into my private life. And for the record, I do know how to collect my emotions, I'm just surrounded by morons!" Edwin spat out as he started slowly backing away from Feng, leaning himself against a nearby cupboard. He felt like he was about to loose his balance. Feng's face grew stern. He was just about to open his mouth again when heavy footsteps echoed towards them from deep within the mansion. Both brothers froze in their tracks, the sound, though very unexpected to Edwin, was all too familiar.