35. The Holiday Roadhouse

"Do you not feel it would be more appropriate to start planning for the parade? That should be the important event, as is tradition, not a meeting. It's quite distasteful." Feng heard the murmuring coming through the hallways of the wide hotel doors. No matter how quiet everyone tried to be, the high ceiling caused for an echo all over the scene. He shot a group of working women a daggering glance, and their speech quickly cut off. He knew he didn't have to explain himself to mere workers, but the family required no unwelcome thoughts going around when Takers started arriving.
"The parade will undoubtedly come, ladies. Regardless, less you and your innocent families would genuinely like to be stomped on by the raging, confused criminals roaming the city I suggest you go and perform your tasks. Keep those pretty mouths of yours quiet before I have someone sew them shut in your place. Mh?" He warned, his words harsh but his tone low and short. He was not in the mood for arguing, not in the mood to be questioned. Definitely not in the mood for calm discussions about what the Dongcock family had the rights and wrongs in. They were the ones who decided, the rest worked or faced the consequences for those who did not. That was all there was to know. The disadvantaged group of women quickly scattered away with their baskets of olives and tomatoes towards the kitchen.

A loud scoff came from Feng and he hawked over the corridor. The soft crimson carpet had been neatly vacuumed, slightly muffling the rushing footsteps all around them. Feng and Edwin had just arrived at the scene, and people already seemed to have been up and working for quite some time. Everything was squeaky clean, polished, and shining. Feng turned to look at his shorter, younger brother with a troubled glance, trying to detect Edwin's reaction to it all. None held to be shown. Edwin's dark, honey-brown eyes were muted of any emotion.
"Come on, let's behold how the stage is being set up." Feng tried lightening the mood. A foolish attempt, as his voice betrayed him, it dripped of uncertainly and gloom. At least the coldness of his expression and threatening posture would keep the workers alerted on the ever so important, dominant seriousness that concealed the grief. Nevertheless, Edwin retained his eyes on the ground. Following alongside his older brother, Edwin kept up like a despairing puppy. Each extraordinary step echoed throughout the hallway, each sound hitting the walls, and dancing back at the conquering brothers. Their high-status names graciously granted them the finest pass down the much too familiar staircase. It led to the fervent event in which would be put into action within some hour, led by two guards and a hotel manager.

The closer they came to the destination, the more Edwin bit and gnawed the insides of his cheeks, anxiety devouring him alive like the hunter it was. The humble, familiar sounds and voices of family and close acquaintances caused a rock to form within Edwin's stomach. A knot forced itself down his windpipe, and a sparse, cold sweat emerged. The domineering feeling of despair washed over him, and he could do nothing but follow the lead. Edwin's hopeless eyes traveled over the dark floors, and up to his brother's towering physique. He glared at Feng's face for a second, observing his brother's frozen expression before he quickly allowed his eyes to wander off.

Oh, how he yearned to be in Ethan's reassuring arms in this specific moment. If he closed his eyes and thought intently enough, he could almost feel his boyfriend's sweet-scented perfume creeping up his nostrils. If he clenched his hands together hard enough, he could merely recognize the soothing touch of his lover's gentle palm within his own. However, reopening his eyes once more, Edwin beheld the sight of the various members of his big family, accompanied with other familiar faces. Edwin felt his eyes growing sodden, as he had to take a second to turn away from the numerous lamenting people. Gently placing a shaky, cold hand onto Feng's elegantly suited arm, he caught his brothers attention. Edwin slowly swayed his head.
"I-I don't- I can't be here. Grandmother is here, our aunties, I need- I think I require something to drink..." Edwin's low, heavy voice spoke for the first time that day, merely a whisper. His soft, weak tone equaled his faint, melancholy face. Light bags decorate his dull, empty eyes. His blonde hair was stuffed into a low, messy bun. The only thing really screaming wealth and power, was his fitted, black dress pants and suit jacket that hung over his scrawny shoulder. Over the fabric, expensive gold and diamond jewelry draped neatly.