Chapter 33: Ashes to Ashes

The next morning was very hectic as Alexander's Council, and guards, briefed their new queen on the daily activities she would soon inherit. Although Alanis understood the importance of these meetings, she fought hard to pay attention, as her mind was constantly being pulled elsewhere.

Somehow she made it through them and found her way back to her bedchamber to be with her husband. Alexander's condition hadn't gotten any worse, but it also hadn't gotten any better. Thankfully, Silas' spell was still at work, easing the pains and discomforts from the growing infection.

   Now that all the briefings were done, she sat on the bed next to him, careful not to disturb him as he slept. Sunlight poured through the drawn curtains, streaking across his resting face. There was a hint of a smile forming on his lips as he dreamed whatever sweet dreams that swam in his head.

   Oh, Alexander, she thought, fighting the urge to speak her words out loud. If only I had stayed, then maybe—

"Alanis'Drah," Queen, he said, interrupting her musings.

"Yes, Alexander'Khan," King, she replied with a smile as she watched him wake against the light.

"I hope the morning meetings weren't too dull. I remember how bored you would get when you used to sit in on them."

   Truth be told, when she sat in on his meetings, most of her time was spent watching him, in hopes to gain a glance or smile from him.

"They went well, though it's going to take a lot of getting used to." And my time would have been better spent by your side, she thought bitterly.

   Alexander touched her hair, letting his fingers slip through her wavy, silver tresses that were unbound. Now that she was married, she didn't have to worry about wearing it up any longer.

He smiled and again, she returned it.

"That dress, it suites you," he said and she nodded, having noticed earlier, how her white hair paired beautifully with the silver, and powder blue gown.

"There should be a ball tonight to celebrate your name." He sat up carefully. "I only wish I was well enough to get out of bed and share a dance with my queen."

"Hmmm," she sighed while stacking his pillows behind him, "And what if I told you, I was a horrible dancer?"

"Then I would tell you that's a horrible reason not to," he laughed recalling their first dance, as did she.

"You really are a great teacher, my king."

   Their smiles seemed to fade as they thought back on that night, on what could have been. It was a memory she had locked away, afraid of the pain that would follow. Looking back, the grief she suffered after she left was nothing compared to the despair she would be facing after his death.

   Alanis lifted the rest of the way onto the bed, joining Alexander on his mountain of pillows.

"You know, despite the bond we share, I truly believed in our love. That it had been real," he confessed while she rested her head on his good shoulder. "For so long, I regretted not telling you about Letando's bond, and our role."

"I admit, I was angry at first. I even doubted our feelings. But after I let go—really let go of you, I realized you were still there, within my heart. You will always be my first love, Alexander. In this life, and the next."