Chapter 14: Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Ati Harei
Outside the Castle
Late Night

   The trek to the palace was uneventful, but sneaking into the prince's room wasn't without its own dangers. They climbed to one of the private second story balconies that connected to his room after stabling his mount.

   Alanis was thankful she had recently acquired the upper-body strength to hoist herself over the small wall that awaited them at the top, if not she would have been bunking with the horses for the remainder of the evening.

"It's late," Alanis whispered while she cautiously walked into his room, "I should get back to my room before the sun rises. They'll be questions asked if someone sees me leaving your room."

   No doubt there would be.

   And not to mention, the rumors—they'd spread like wildfire. The prince and Oraur Lahre knocking boots would be the topic of many conversations and she feared that word would eventually reach Berthold, and her king.

"Ahhh, but you forget," he replied while he turned his gaze to the old hidden door that joined both their rooms.

   She had almost forgotten that it was there and so did he. It wasn't until she knocked upon it the other day, that he remembered it.

"There's no need to rush out just yet."

"Well, If you're proposing I sit around and chat with you, then you're going to need to set a fire. It's freezing in here." She folded her arms against her chest and turned from the door.

"You're more trouble than you're worth, you know that?" he jested, while shuffling his cloak from his shoulder. He draped the garment on the foot of his bed before tending to the fire.

   Alanis stood silently at the door, too nervous to frame a retort to his last statement. This was the first time she had been invited into his bedchambers, and to top it off he had asked her to stay. But her worries ended there, for she knew they would merely speak about the commander's proposal and would no doubt try his hand at discouraging her from considering it.

   As she walked over to fireplace and sat near the hearth across from the prince, she recalled the kiss they shared earlier in the evening. She had nearly forgotten about it after the events of the night.

   Nervousness fluttered in the pit of her stomach again while she watched him feed the fire several fresh logs. There was no real explanation for her actions, other than doing it out of spite, but her real nervousness stemmed from the pleasure she took from it. It was truly unexpected and left her with more questions regarding her feelings for him, if she even had any, than answers.

   He left her side briefly and returned with two glasses.

"I thought you'd be chattier after reuniting with your friends. Instead, you have a telling look on your face."

She looked away, towards the growing fire and answered, "So, you're an expert on reading me now?"

"I'm an observer and I've observed a change."

"I'm shocked, what more can I say?" Alanis replied. Her chin lifted as she turned to properly acknowledge him. "I've noticed these types of events bring trouble, so I'm sorry if I'm reluctant to celebrate their arrival. If anything, it scares me."

Faris smiled and offered her the extra glass. "You're smarter than you look."

"Oh, and how do I look, your highness?"

"Beautiful."

"Well played," Alanis retorted and took the offered goblet from his hovering hand. He successfully managed to overcome his insulting remark with a simple pleasantry. And truth be told, she was charmed, unaware that he found her attractive.