Chapter 13: Your Choice

With the silver moon as their guide, they rode stealthily into the night

With the silver moon as their guide, they rode stealthily into the night. Before departing, Alanis made sure to build an alibi, telling Harold she was turning in early as Faris had suggested. Most of the guards were gathered in the hall for supper, making her escape to the stables quite the easy feat.

Faris met her at the large tree, near the stables, atop his mount. He had equipped his armor since their last meeting and wore a sword sheathed at his hip. For a moment, Alanis second guessed her decision to leave with him. The cautious look in his eyes told her their meeting could bring danger. She could only guess what she was getting herself into with this man.

But there was no time for debate.

She gave the prince her trust with no explanation and took his offered hand, mounting upon his midnight steed with him. They sped off into the darkened plains, riding for an hour, though it felt longer as adrenaline pumped through her veins. There was no telling where he was taking her, but something deep inside told her she could place trust in him. She supposed it was the same feeling Tyrell spoke of, the magic of trusting one's heart whenever her gift wasn't an option.

"Look up," Faris said, disconnecting Alanis from her thoughts. Her eyes followed the direction of his tilted head, to the sky ahead of them. In it, was a green ribbon of light. It flailed through the sky in a slow dancing movement, then began to lash as they raced towards it.

The sky above them ignited with a burst of green just as the light reached them. Alanis turned her head to see the light as it traveled south, watching as it faded until there was nothing but sky. She turned her head again, to watch the forming lights ahead. They spawned from the same point, from the peak of one of the grander mountains that belonged to the Mosre'Lori Range.

"Lahre Donti," he said, looking back to gather her expression. She smiled, noticing how bright his eyes were under the dancing light. They were as green as the light above them, but in some ways richer.

It was funny that something so beautiful, adorned someone so cynical, she though.

"Some say that the Lahre Donti are caused by the touch of the Terra and the heavens. Hiore uf'reueth."

Love's touch, the caress of Terra and sky.

"Some say," Alanis repeated, tugging playfully at his red-cloak she was holding to. "You seem to know a lot of 'children's stories'. Are you sure you're not secretly fond of them?"

She was impressed he knew as much as he did about 'The Ole God Language' and to know such a beautiful tale surprised her even more. Perhaps, he wasn't the cynical brute she had pegged him for.

"I thought it was appropriate," he chided while turning his head. He wore a smug smile while adding, "I am entertaining a child after all."

She twisted his cloaks with a chuckle and kept her retort silent, allowing the prince the final word.