Chapter 15: The Next Day

Alanis stood at the biggest window in her bedchamber and searched the darkened city below while she thought over Benjamin's offer. As she watched the street from her cozy perch she was stricken with fear. The windows of the surrounding buildings were dark, as were the streets, much darker than a normal night in Ati.

   The night and loneliness it carried, had a way of getting at her, fueling her insecurities of the future—her future. She closed her eyes and prayed to the gods to grant her strength in her time of need, knowing she would need it when facing Faris next.

   The joining-door creaked and her breath hitched as she caught his scent in the darkness. Worn leather and the smell of the white plains, two scents that made her think of him.

"You can't place faith in me because you have no faith in yourself," Faris whispered, coaxing her eyes to open.

   His hand lifted her chin, so he could gaze into her eyes. Those green eyes, as green as the emerald that adorned his finger, as green as the fields in spring searched her while she was lost within them. There was something about the way he looked into her eyes that made her heart dance and melt, both at the same time.

"I'm not the type of man that deserves your heart. Now Berthold's King and Lord Fulton, those are men worthy of your love, wouldn't you agree?"

   She stepped away from him, offended by his statement. What he thought he knew about her wasn't true. She wasn't only interested in those types of men. Sure Alexander and Wesley were obvious suitors, the golden knights many young women dreamt of being with. But was that her dream? Perhaps, it could have been, but now she would never know, not while her fate was set in stone.

"Yes... they are different from you, but that doesn't make them the better choice. If you think I'm that shallow then you're—" she stopped in mid-thought and examined her surroundings, then looked up at the prince, who was waiting patiently for her to continue.

"A dream..." This was all a dream, she realized, remembering the night before. There was no way he would have mentioned Alexander as a suitor. That was a secret he could never know about.

She pulled her hands to her chest, securing them against her bosom.

"We kissed, that's why I'm dreaming about you. I feel guilty for what I did and how I've misjudged you. I was only trying to show you that I can live in the moment too, that I'm not some sort of prude or princess."

"I never said you were," he replied simply with a step towards her.

"But you think it... I can tell by the way you regard me."

"What you see is fear."

   Why would he fear her, she was destined to save him and everyone else, she would never hurt him. Was it his fear of the powers she possessed, or was it her fear, the fear of him finding out that she had been manipulating him into performing a task without his knowing.

"Fear..." Alanis repeated. "There is no need to fear me. I promise, I would never allow anything bad happen to you. Please, trust me." Her whisper was met by a kiss from him as haunting as his stare. It was deeper than the kiss they shared the night before, permeating into her very soul, becoming one with the drumming of her heart.

His lips left hers. "Then the only way... is to let go. You've got to let go..." the prince whispered into her ear, each word was drawn out in her ear as he spoke them. They were important, holding within them a hidden message that was more than her subconscious tugging at her guilt.

"Forgive me," he said and pulled away from her before she could react to his words, disappearing into the sunlight that flooded her bedchamber. She looked out the window, clutching her chest in longing, missing him and the heat of his kiss.