Chapter 4

Recap:

‘As I sat through her class I wondered what other hunters there are in this area. The Pateman’s don’t work alone. There has to be another. I just hope that they aren’t a high level hunter.

But knowing the Pateman’s, they probably are. Double shit.’ 

Chapter 4

~ Cleo’s Pov ~

I sat down at the lunch table with my friends. We made nice conversations about the latest gossip. I still felt a lot of the boys look at me. It felt creepy but I shrugged it off.

‘’So Cleo, why aren’t you eating anything?’’ Oh. I had forgotten that humans needed food on a regular basis. 3 times a day! I can last 2 days by just having fresh blood from the source. All hot and thick. Pulsing with life. It started to make me drawl. I quickly shook my head.

‘’I’m not that hungry and I forgot money as well so it’s all good.’’ I quickly lied. I hadn’t eaten in a day or so. I forgot to do it when I went on my run the other morning. Damn.

As I realise this everything in the room starts to go quiet. The only noise I can hear is a constant thud. And it was coming from everyone else. Their pulse called to me as everything happened in slow motion. The vein protruded in and out of the neck, teasing me. I knew I had to get out of there before I bit someone’s head off. Literally!

~

As I arrive home after that long day, I go to the fridge to make a sandwich. I take out two bags full of blood, sliced the top open with my fingernail and put them into the microwave to warm up. It isn’t the best blood but at least no one innocent is killed. I turn on the TV to see the news on.

‘’Another young girl was abducted yesterday outside a club downtown at 10pm when she left the club ‘to have a cigarette’ as her friend says. This is a warning. Any young girls should not be outside after dark as it could be you next time.’’ The reporter states.

The ‘midnight murderer’ had struck again. This rogue vampire was going to be the death of me.

 ‘’A witness saw this girl going into the forest last night and was taken into questioning. She just assumed that it was a young couple being romantic. They entered through the west entrance…’’ The reporter carries on.

I suddenly thought of an idea. I could get there before they take the body. I could find her because of my better senses. I’m sure no one will see me at the speed I would be going at if I am spotted. I drank all my blood from the bag and even went round the bag with my finger and licked it clean. I was hungrier than I thought.

I left immediately from the north so that I wouldn’t bump into anyone. I ran so fast that I got there in a few minutes. From the disgusting odour, I can tell that she was killed about 8 hours ago.

She had two puncture holes in her neck, widely spread out but aren’t deep. This tells me the vampire’s male and quite a young one too. But I already knew that. The same smell is always here so I know it is the same vampire but every time I track him he is clever and gets into a car which stops the scent without a trace.

I scout the area around the body with no luck. Yet again, the scent stops about a half mile away from the body so I turn back and go home.  

~

‘’Dead end again!’’ I shout to Mary.

‘’It’s okay dear. Don’t worry’’ she says as she steps out from the living room. ‘’You’ll get him next time’’ She repeats from last time the vampire struck.

‘’That’s what you always say Mary! When are you ever going to be right?’’ I question.

‘’Always have hope.’’ She was always the voice of reason…

I walk up to my room and start to do my homework for today. Miss Pateman set loads of it today. Wait a minute… Miss Pateman! She probably read the news as well. She could be there at the crime scene now because she can also smell the decaying body, but she can’t run there as fast as I can.

What will she do when she smells my scent? Even though the ring makes me human unless I don’t want to be, it doesn’t mean I don’t have a scent! She might recognise my scent and put two and two together. She probably thinks I helped with the murder!

I run faster than I ever had before. As I was running my previous thoughts were swirling in my mind. I start to focus on my running and nothing else, I just need to get there before Miss Pateman does. Who knows what she will do!

As soon as I arrive to the clearing that I had only been at half an hour before, everything looked the same. The trees were swaying to the side in the breezy air, the grooves on the muddy floor that shows the body was dragged here and the blood trail that followed. Everything was the same.

Apart from the body…

Please comment and vote!

xx