Chapter 22: The One that Got Away

Chapter 22: Mel

Mel's Apartment

New York City, United States of America

March 25, 2014

7:30 am

________________

I woke up the next morning with a killer headache, presumably because like the night before I hadn't gotten the best sleep. At around 4 in the morning, I had woken up on the living room floor after tripping on the coffee table in my sleep. Fortunately, I hadn't been caught by my brother, able to crawl back to bed undetected. I had a feeling that he wouldn't be so "protective brother" if I had woken him up in the middle of the night for the second time in a row.

"Mel, hurry up! You're going to be late!' Jason called from the kitchen.

"Okay, just let me grab my stuff," I replied, hurrying as I slid my jacket on and grabbed my bag off of my floor. Jason had been insistent on walking me school today, most likely to pester me about what happened with Lexi. Last night he had asked and I told him he'd have to ask Lexi when he was over at her place, but when he had come back at almost midnight he had said she wouldn't tell him anything. I remembered the conversation from the night before.

"Okay, what happened? Lexi won't tell me anything."

"Well, I'm about to go to bed. You'll have to ask tommorow," I told him, closing my bedroom door behind me.

He groaned and yelled through the door, "Oh, come on. I'm curious."

"I said tommorow, Jason!"

"Fine, but I want to know before you go to school."

I rolled my eyes, "I don't have time in the morning if I walk."

"Then I'll walk with you."

By that point in the night, I was far too tired to try to argue and had agreed to his plan. No harm done, right? Think again. He woke me up an hour earlier than I was used to and I had fallen asleep again behind his back. I woke up again 5 minutes ago. Okay, I guess that was more my fault than his, but I deserved to use him as a scapegoat every now again. Didn't I?

I heard a knock on my door, "Hey, sis. What's the hold up?"

"Oh, I'm just," I opened the door to see him standing there, armed with a banana chocolate chip muffin and jacket. I reached over and grabbed the muffin, "stealing some breakfast. Thank you." He rolled his eyes, obviously because I had just stolen his meal, but he didn't say anything so I took a large bite. "Want some?" I asked, my mouth full of muffin.

He shook his head and pointed at the door, "Come on, let's go." He walked significantly faster than me and I had a hard time trying to keep up, but when we finally exited the building he slowed down and turned to face me, "Spill."

"Fine. We went out to Rocky's, but their was a little but of an issue with a demon and we were forced to sell our souls."

I laughed, but he glared at me, "Yeah, demons don't exist." I almost rolled my eyes. If only you knew the truth, Jason. I resisted the urge to tell him that. I didn't want to spend the rest of high school if the psych ward. He continued talking, "What actually happened, Mel?"

I summarized what happened, omitting the part about how she knew about the murder victims and her reaction when I started bleeding. I also "forgot" to mention what I told her about Spencer and his threat. I didn't need to have him beating up any students on my account. I wrapped up my story, "Then we said good bye and I went home to do two hours worth of math homework."