Chapter 12: Going Too Far

Chapter 12: Jane

Streets of New York

New York City, United States of America

March 16, 2014

5:44 p.m.

I called Ben on my cell phone as I walked to his apartment building. It was only a couple of blocks away, so the walk wasn't that difficult. Uncle Greg wasn't really sure that I should go out alone especially after the whole dog attack, but I started crying and he chased me out of the house. It only took me a week for me to find out that tears were his weakness, once he moved in.

"Hey, Benny-bear," I greeted into the phone.

"Hey babe, what's up?" he answered.

"I have to talk to you about something,"

"Are we breaking up? Babe, give me another chance. I don't even know what I did wrong. Let's talk about this first," he began to ramble on.

I laughed at his reaction, "It's not that. I just have some news to tell you."

"Are you pregnant?" he asked, his breathing on the other end getting heavier. "I can't be a father yet. I'm not ready. Are you sure? Did you go to the doctor?"

"Relax, I'm not pregnant," I soothed. "I just have to tell you some stuff, okay? I'm almost there." I hung up the phone so he wouldn't make anymore assumptions. I guess that's what I get for dating a dumb jock. At least, he cared though.

I walked up to the building and buzzed in. The door opened and I headed up the stairs. His apartment was only on the second floor so I was there quick.

When I got his apartment, I was surprised when the door was already ajar. I slowly creaked the door open.

"Ben?" I called. "I'm here now!" I decided to enter the door.There was no one in the living room or kitchen. "Seriously, I've been through a lot of scary s*** today. Cut it out."

I heard a laugh from the bedroom. It wasn't Ben's though. Ben's laugh consisted of snorting and farting. It was by far his least attractive quality. I always tried to never be funny around him for that reason. I thought about the source of the laughter. Did he have a friend over? Was it the TV? Radio? What was I saying? No one uses radio anymore.

I crept through the halls nervously. I was still a little freaked out after the dog incident. I arrived at his bedroom and opened the door. I was shocked at what I saw.

Ben was tied to a chair. A man was holding a knife to his throat. When did this happen? I was just on the phone with Ben. I immediately noticed the scar across his left cheek. Was this the creepy, mysterious man, that threatened Mel and sent Cereberus to kill us, holding a knife to my boyfriend's throat?

"What do you want?" I grumbled.

He smiled, "That's not a very ladylike way of greeting me, Jane."

"It's hard to be ladylike when you have a knife to my f***ing boyfriend!" I shouted back.

Ben's eyes widened as he pulled the knife closer to Ben's neck. I wanted to do something, but I knew if I went any closer that Ben would be dead. He smiled wider at my reaction, "You certainly are feisty. It does make sense you're the protector."

"I have know idea what you're talikng about. Leave Ben alone."

He ignored me, "Did you like the little dog I sent you? I thought I'd give you a little goodbye gift. I'm sorry I had to spoil the surprise for your boyfriend, just now," he leaned down to Ben's ear, "Jane's moving to Colombia. She's leaving you."

I grinded my teeth, "Leave him alone."

"Do you want to know why I sent the dog? I wanted to scare you. I wanted to kill your boyfriend Seth so you'd be scared. The fact you were there was purely accidental." he explained. I stared at him oddly when he said that Seth was my boyfriend. Seth wasn't my boyfriend, Ben was. "But that's where I made the mistake. Seth isn't your boyfriend, although you do act like a couple, Ben is. So naturally, I had to kill him. Seth got lucky, but I made sure I wouldn't make any mistakes with Ben."

"Let him go, kill me instead." I spat.

He laughed. "That's the thing, you're too fun to kill." Then he slit Ben's throat and vanished.

I rushed over to Ben and covered his throat in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding. I began to cry. He had gone too far. I grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911.

I knew it was too late though. Ben was gone. He was dead.