Chapter 14: Saying Goodbye

Chapter 14: Jane

Ben's apartment

New York City, United States of  America

March 16, 2014

5:53

"What do you mean?" Mel questioned from the other end of the line.

I choked on my tears as I thought of a response. It hurt so much to relive it. I took a deep breath, "The man with the scar, he tied up Ben to a chair and waited for me. He knew I was coming. He said that he wanted to kill my boyfriend to hurt me. That's what the dog attack was about. He thought Seth was my boyfriend. I'm the reason Seth is in the hospital. I'm the reason Ben's dead."

Mel's voice voice sounded worried, "Where are you now?"

"I'm in Ben's room, still. I'm waiting for the police. I'm in the corner. I can't stand to see the body, but I'm too scared to move," I sobbed. I was constantly looking over my shoulder in case he comes back. I knew he wouldn't though, his work was finished.

"I'm coming," she replied firmly. She knew I would tell her not to worry, to spend time at home. But, I knew that she wouldn't budge this time. "Jane, stay strong. Friends Always,"

I muttered in response our promise to eachother, "Friends Forever." Then I hung up.

I sat in silence for a few moments. Ben had been a wonderful person. We didn't have a very serious relationship, come to think of it, but even though, I knew a little part of me was now shattered. I built up the courage to turn around. I didn't want to, but I would not let him take away my right to say goodbye. 

The sight was horrific. There was blood on his ridiculous 'I luv New York' shirt. I remembered when he bought it. It was a sunny day and we visited Manhattan for the day. When he saw the shirt, he immiediately paid the twenty dollars to get it.

"Why would you get that? It's obviously way too much. Besides, it's a tourist shirt." I explained frustrated.

He smiled at me with that goofy smile of his and replied, "Because I love New York. It's where I met you," We kissed for hours on that busy sidewalk, earning judgmental stares from bystander walking by. I loved the memory, but I hated the fact that there'd be no more memories of Ben and I together. 

I apprached his body. It was still tied to that stupid chair. I cried and cried. How could this happen? It was all of my fault. It was my fault he was dead. It was my fault he'd never graduate, never go to college, never start a family, never do anything else again because he was dead.

"Ben," I whispered to no one, "I'm sorry. It's all my fault. I wish this never happened. I just want you to come back. I don't want you dead. You need to come back. I need you. I need you to bring a smile to my face, even on the worst days. I need you hold me when I'm alone. I can't go through this again, Ben. I can't go through losing someone again. Please, just come back."

I heard loud footsteps stomp through the apartment. I held my body in front of Ben's as instinct. Was he back? Did he come back to rub it my face? I wouldn't be able to survive another encounter in my current state. He had won and the fight hadn't even begun. 

I breathed a sigh of relief as I realized it was only the police here. They would help, right? How? Could I at least count on their protection? The stromed into the room and rushed towards me. They grabbed my wrists and cuffed them. I cried in pain. 

One officer assessed Ben and declared, "He's dead."

"No!" I sobbed. I already knew the fact. but just hearomg it through someone else's mouth made it worse. It made it more real."

The officer who cuffed my wrists pulled me close, "You are under arrest for the murder of Ben Howard."