Chapter 13: An Awkward Dinner

Chapter 13: Mel

Mel's apartment

New York City, United States of America

March 16, 2014

5:47

Jane's uncle pulled up to the front of my apartment building and I stepped out and waved,"Thanks for driving me."

"Anytime, hon," he smiled and drove away.

After the bombshell earlier, I decided I should probably head home. I asked Jane's uncle to drive me home, mostly because I was too scared I would run into that guy with a scar. I would've asked Jane to, but she had other matters to attend to. I was a little bummed about that, we still needed to talk about the news Jane just dropped on me. She was moving in a week. I shook my head in disbelief as I headed up to the apartment. I knew it shouldn't have been such a shock to me. She had already told me that she was moving. Her uncle was just waiting for a field assignment. I guess, he got one.

I approached my door and knocked a few times, patiently waiting to be let in. My parents would have probably been pulling out the dinner plates, complaining that I wasn't home yet. 

I heard the lock click and my mom opened  the door, a disappointed look across her face. "I can't believe you, Melanie," she grumbled as I walked through the door, into the living room, "You had us worried sick."

I swore under my breath. With the craziness of the day, I had totally forgotten to tell my parents where I was.

"I'm sorry. Stuff happened and lost track of time," I apologized. I knew that my excuse was weak, but it was all I had.

"Well. I look forward to hearing it with your father later," my mom shook her head disapprovingly. "Right now, Jason has his girlfriend over for dinner."

I glanced over at the dining room table and looked at the young girl that sat beside my brother as my dad questioned her. 

"So, I hear you go to Syracuse" he asked.

She nodded in response, "The one and only."

Jason went to Syracuse last year, before deciding to take a year off to "get to know himself better." My parents weren't too impressed when my brother broke the news to them, but I couldn't have cared less. I liked having him home, it made family dynamics a lot more interesting.

I took a seat on the chair opposite Jason and waved at my brother's girlfriend, "Hi, I'm Mel."

 "I'm Lexi," she responded, pausing before continuing again, "I'm told you know, Seth Andrews."

My eyes widened at the sound of his name, "Not very well, but I know of him. He's my...," I paused trying to think of words to describe our relationship," friend's uncle's research assistant. How do you know him?"

"We used to be neighbours as a kid," she replied, "I guess it truly is a small world."

My mom came from the kitchen holding a large casserole dish filled with a freshly baked lasagna, "I'm sorry that I don't have anything special for dinner tonight," she gestured toward Lexi, "but Jason didn't decide to tell me you were coming until this morning." She sat down at the tail end of the table, across from my dad and began dishing out servings. 

I picked at the piece on my plate with a fork, because I had absolutely no desire to eat. The image of blood dripping off Jane's countertops continued to linger in my mind, stirring an unbearable sense of nausea. Unfortunately, having to run to the bathroom after a single bite of lasagna was definitely not practical when there was a guest sitting at the dinner table, but I knew that I had to leave. Now.

Tuning out the small talk around me, I started to run through the possible escape scenarios. I needed excuses. Lady problems? My mom wouldn't buy it. Flu? Food poisoning? Not possible. I had just begun to ponder how effective storming out of the room and throwing a tantrum would be, when my phone rang.

Riiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiing.

Everyone at the table stared at me as I looked down at the call display. Jane. If I missed a call, she would call the cops claiming I was murdered, especially today. 

I rolled my eyes and got up from the table, "Sorry. It's Jane." My mom glared at me as I began to walk away from the table. I would have a fun conversation with her later tonight, but that was the least of my worries. 

Locking myself into my room, I picked up the phone and heard Jane sobbing. "What's wrong, Jane? Did he hurt you?" I questioned, crossing my fingers that she wasn't lying in a pool of her own blood.

"No. I'm too fun to kill," she whimpered, "He killed Ben."