Chapter 11: Dog Jokes

Chapter 11: Mel

Jane's apartment

New York City, United States of America

March 16, 2014

5:21

"Mel, you're being melodramatic," Jane complained, "This guy is not Typhon or whatever, he is just some creep who followed you from Central Park. He has nothing to do with what happened earlier with Cerberus!"

"I never said he was Typhon. I just mean that he used Typhon's story as a way to express his own," I explained. I crossed my fingers that Jane would see some kind of logic to my theory, but all she did was stare back at me with disgust.

Maybe if I had told her the truth about what had happened earlier she would believe me, but either way I felt kind of bad. She didn't deserve to be left in the dark, but I was so ashamed at what happened. I pitied him and now he's gone. I screwed up, but I pushed the thoughts aside for a moment.

"Come on, Jane," I whined, "There is no way that he just happened to have said Cerberus would attack us, like 1 maybe 2 hours before Cerberus came running through our door."

Jane shrugged her shoulders and hunched over into the desk chair, "I really hate this," she muttered.

"Everybody does, but promise me you won't cry. We've done enough crying. Plus, I think we used all the tissues," I replied. She stared back incredibly unimpressed, before I piped up again, "Hey, how did the little Scottish dog feel when Cerberus came into his apartment?"

She rolled her eyes, "I don't know."

"He felt terrier-fied."

We both fell silent for a second unsure as to whether or not we should laugh at my terrible joke, but I started to run through the events of the day. Creepy visit in Central Park. A 3-headed dog. Another creepy visit in my friend's aprtment. The word Typhon written on the blade of a knife. I was too exhausted to laugh, but I looked up at Jane and I saw her smiling.

Then the moment was interrupted by Jane's uncle barging into the room, "You girls alright?" he inquired, "I heard yelling so I came over to check on you. Was it about the whole moving thing? Because you know it won't be that bad, plus you still have a whole week until we leave."

My jaw dropped, "What's this about a week?"

Jane's smile disappeared and she replied catiously, "Yeah, about that. Uncle Greg just told me that we are moving in a week."

I took a deep breath and straightened my back, "Okay then," I replied calmly.

"You aren't mad?" they both replied at the same time in utter shock.

Of course I was mad, but I felt sorry for Jane and I needed to be supportive. Especially since now she had something far more difficult to face than an angry Mel. I tried to hold back my anger. It wasn't Jane's fault she was moving. She didn't know. I wished she had told me sooner. I wished that she didn't have to leave. I wanted her to stay. There was a lot going on and I really needed my best friend.

I felt jealous of Jane. She got to leave this place and forget everything that happened. She could continue with a normal life. I had to stay and desperately hope it all would stop. I had a sinking feeling it wouldn't though.

I couldn't bare to think of the matter any longer. I decided to change the topic. With a sigh, I pointed out the challenge that lay ahaed of her, "So when are you going to tell Ben?"