Chapter 4: The Three-Headed Dog

Chapter 4: Jane

Jane's apartment

New York City, United States of America

March 16, 2014

2:42 pm

_______________________

We were crying on the floor for what seemed like forever. Seth was sitting on the couch reading a book and throwing us boxes of tissues at us when needed. I could feel him judging us. 

“Don’t look at us that way!” I shouted at Seth, through my tears. He was my uncle’s research assistant/university biology student. Seth and I had only known each other for a month, when he moved in with my uncle and I after the accident. We didn’t get along very well. My uncle Greg and Mel are convinced that we should get together and that the constant bickering is actually flirting.

“You don’t understand what it’s like to leave your best friend!”

“Teenagers,” he muttered under his breath. 

“Need I remind you that you are a teenager yourself? You’re only two years older than us.” I mentioned. He was about to reply with a witty comment, but he was interrupted by scratching at the door. I looked at Mel. 

“It’s probably just your neighbour’s Chihuahua. It’s always been an annoying little beast.” Mel explained, shrugging her shoulders. She was probably right, but I couldn’t shake this nasty feeling that it was something else. 

The scratching grew louder and the beast behind the door began to growl. “That’s some nasty Chihuahua,” Seth chuckled. I headed toward the door to inspect through the peephole. I immediately backed away in fear. It was this large black beast. 

“That’s not a Chihuahua,” I stuttered. I put the chain on the door and shoved one of the armchairs to block it. Mel understood my actions. 

“Cerberus?” she mouthed at me as I continued to put a side table on top of the chair. I nodded nervously, fear showing on my face. Seth stared at me like I was insane. 

“What are you doing?” he remarked. He began to move the furniture back in its place to my dismay. “It’s just a dog, a chihuahua.”

I tried to pull him away. He wouldn’t budge. The growling became more aggressive. Mel and I backed toward the kitchen counters. The door rattled. 

“Seth,” Mel warned. I knew whatever what was outside that door was about to come in. I started pulling knives out of the knife block in preparation. 

The door burst open to reveal a gnarling three-headed dog, thristing for blood. It pounced on Seth, scratching his left arm. He tried to wrestle it off, but it was too strong. It happened so fast, the beast sunk its teeth into Seth’s shoulder. He was losing a lot of blood. I charged at the beast with a shining butcher knife gripped in my hand. I stabbed the dog’s thigh. 

To my satisfaction it got off of Seth. The wound sizzled and absorbed the knife. “What the f***?” I exclaimed. 

The creature turned to me with all three heads. I slammed into the wall and screamed. Seth was still recovering on the ground by the door. I looked for Mel. She wasn’t in the kitchen anymore. I turned to my right to see Mel on the balcony, knife in hand. 

She cut her arm and winced in pain. “Hey, Clifford! Take a bite of this,” she yelled. The creature faced her distractingly. It lept towards her. 

“Mel!” I screamed in terror. What was she doing? She gave me a reassuiring nod. The beast ran right towards her. She sidestepped out of the way just in time. The beast jumped off and into the busy streets of Brooklyn. 

I hurried over to the ledge, hoping to see a dead dog. I had no idea what we’d do if it started to attack the people below. I took a peek and saw nothing. It vanished. I looked at Mel in disappointment. 

“I’m just happy that it’s gone and we’re alive.” she shrugged. I agreed. Then, I remembered something.

“Seth!” I rushed over to him. He was losing a lot of blood. I took off my sweater and wrapped it around his wounds. “Call 911!”

She drew a heart around us with her finger and I scowled. We were losing time. She ran for the phone. “Seth,” I cried. “no dying. I can’t afford to lose you.”