Chapter 7: Rocky's

Chapter 7: Jane

Rocky's Coffee Shop

New York City, United States of America

March 16, 2014

4:31

Uncle Greg and I walked down the busy streets of rush hour. Our walk consisted of silence, due to the fact that I was too angry at him for not telling about moving and too depressed after my conversation with Seth. Uncle Greg didn't know about my conversation with Seth and I planned to keep it tha way. If he finds out, I'll be forced to talk about my feelings about my parents and grief and the circle of life, again. The first time was enough.

Uncle Greg interrupted the deafening silence, "I know what'll cheer you up, let's go to that coffee shop on Ashland place."

"Rocky's? I don't know. I just want to go home. Mel is still there. She might be worried." I rambled. It was a pretty lame excuse but I didn't really want to talk right. I wanted to think. I needed some me time to deal with all the crazy s*** that had been happening.

"You can always text Mel if you need to but we are in need of some serious-" he paused, unsure of what to say, "uncle/niece time?"

I tried to stifle a laugh at his ridiculous title for our spending time together. I couldn't resist and let out a soft giggle. He smiled in victory. "Fine, but I want a coffee and a chocolate chip muffin."

That's exactly what happened. We entered the shop and were graciously greeted by the owner, Rocky with a warm smile and a cheerful wave. I was a usual customer, so he always recognized me. Uncle Greg bought a chocolate chip muffin and coffee for both him and myself.

I took a sip of the steaming coffee. It was March but even the warm spring day wouldn't stop me from getting my hot cup of coffee. Hot coffee and a chocolate chip muffin was my tradition for Rocky's. Every time I went to Rocky's I'd have to have it. It never disapointed me.

"Why didn't you tell me about leaving?" I asked. "I would've appreciated an earlier warning than a week in advance."

He looked at me sadly, "I'm sorry about that. It just slipped my mind. I thought I told you so I didn't bother to tell you again."

"I'm not really that upset about you not telling me," I admitted. "I just don't want to leave Brooklyn. I grew up here and I feel like I'll be leaving a part of my parents behind."

"They will always be inside your heart and you'll always have memories of your time here. Besides, change is good. You need a fresh start." he comforted me. His words were very cliché but they were still comforting.

I reluctantly sighed, "I guess you're right." There were some things I wanted to leave here though. That whole Cerberus attack and that guy talking about monsters Mel met were some things I was more than happy to leave behind. "Where are we even going?"

He smiled at me, happy at the fact that I was warming up to the idea, "We are going to the fine tropical rainforests of Colombia. I will be doing research on the humid climate of the region."

"Maybe this won't be as bad as I thought," I replied.

"I'm happy that you're warming up to the idea, Jane." he paused for a moment, taking a bite of his muffin. "Maybe we should head back to the apartment now. I don't want to leave Melanie all by herself tidying up."

"I totally forgot about Mel," I laughed, "You'd think that I'd remember my best friend in my apartment alone after a bizarre dog attack."