Chapter 1: Colin

"You get all the luck," Colin said as he put his beer on the bar. Taking in all the sensory information he could. From the smell of liquor to watching people losing themselves to it. He was on his third beer already and wasn't feeling drunk. He imagined how many of these patrons would be able to make it back to their cars, much less drive home safely.

"Yea, that's all it is," Tyree said after taking a drink of his beer. Colin couldn't help but think that Tyree was a punk when it came to drinking. Tyree was only on his first beer, he was nursing it. He felt like laughing, but Tyree came all the way out to Burlington to spend time with him.

"Well, you should rub some of that luck with women my way." Colin gave a weak smile and took another gulp of beer. He started thinking about how it's been years since he had any romantic conquests. His string of bad luck made him want to retire to the mountains. If he had to be alone, at least he would be in nature and not around these creeps called humans.  Not that he was anti-social, just the opposite, he enjoyed sharing ideas with others.

"I would if If I could. Colin..." Tyree froze and looked at the television which made Colin look too. The news anchor came on, a pretty woman in her late thirties or forties. She was trying to hide her figure with all the dark clothing. Colin would never understand why women felt they had to be perfect. He knew he was far from it.

The anchor reported that a murder happened in Burlington. The victim was a blonde male named Dexter Ferrell. A neighbor found his body. It appears that forensics believe something electrocuted him.. He was in the Army like Tyree and himself. He was also going to school to become a veteran.  The weird thing was Colin recognized him.

Colin started to wonder if the anchor was single. At this point, he was desperate for company. No matter how much he tried to convince himself that he wanted to be alone. he wished he could have made things work out with Helen or even Brielle. Now here he was drinking his problems away. Wanting to hook up with someone twice his age and unattainable.

"Small world," Tyree said. Colin looked back at his friend. Tyree knew about everyone it seemed.

"You knew him?" Colin finished his beer and ordered another. His dinner finally came and he started to take bites of his burger.

"No, but I've seen him around the base and at drill weekends. That's crazy how we meet people and then they can be gone the next. It's a sad world man." Tyree took a long drink of his beer and finished it finally. Colin wanted to clap, but again, Tyree was here as a favor

"I know what you mean." The waitress gave both of them another beer bottle. They were drinking Corona, but Tyree drank his Corona with a lime. Colin prefer having it straight. "how was he electrocuted?"

"Well, they said there is no evidence of homicide. They won't know anything until they investigate. Man, another brother in arms gone just like that."

Together they both took long drinks of their new bottles to a fallen comrade. "I want to move into the mountains. I can't get a girl, my family hates me, and I only have you to talk too." His mind drifted to envisioning himself in a tent near a river. Toughing it out by catching his own food.  He 

"I guess I'll take that as a compliment."

"It is," Colin said downing some more of his beer. Tyree watched and Colin noticed that he looked concerned. "I mean there's Clint, but he's married, he can't come out all the time."

Tyree started to eat some of his food. "What's going on with the family?"

"Well, you know mom is taking dad's death pretty hard. Melissa is hard on me about visiting mom. Mom needs time. We also don't agree on where mom should go, but of course, my mom is taking Melissa's side."

"Well, wouldn't your mom know what she wants more than any of you?" Tyree kept eating, drinking while listening. His drinks were going down faster now that he had food. Colin wondered if that was Tyree's way of staying sober as long as possible. Everyone had a drinking strategy.

"Yeah, I guess, but..." he paused and looked at Tyree. "it feels like no one cares about my opinions, you know?"

"That's why you need to call Ashley!" Tyree turned towards Colin with bright eyes and a big smile. "Haven't you two been talking?" She's still cute. Not like high school cute, grown woman cute."

"Down boy" Colin motioned his hand like Tyree was a dog. He hoped that anyone watching didn't think he was being racist to his friend. "I haven't talked to her, except on Facebook."

"and?"

"...and nothing. She seems to be only interested in her projects and that guy in her photos. Like I said I wish I had your luck, but I don't."

"So, moving to the mountains seems like a good idea? Please, how do you know what she's thinking? You should talk to her, find out what's what.

"Okay, Cupid. You're right, but I don't have time."

"You have more time than that Dexter guy." Tyree pointed at the tv. The report was still going on. "You know for someone who likes to be adventurous, you get timid when it comes to dating.

"Dating is an adventure that I fail at each time. Jumping out of planes is way easier than trying to date."

"You two would be great for each other." Tyree was almost done eating and was now on his third beer. Colin was only halfway through his fourth. Thinking about his failed relationships. The fights with his family, and coming to the realization that he may be lonely forever. He felt like he was fine with that, but he wanted more. Tyree was right, he should take a chance and ask Ashley out, but he was practical. Ashley and Colin only talked a couple of times over the ten years from high school.

"This coming from somebody who got dumped by Olivia." Colin tried to distract Tyree before he found himself trying to call Ashley.

"That's cold," Tyree said with a cold stare. "Look we had communication issues. it happens."

"and now you're talking to a new girl after..."

"three weeks. nothing serious."

"See, luck, skill, whatever you have, I don't." Colin thought about ordering another beer, but it was getting late and both of them needed to drive home. Tyree must of read his mind.

"Well, friend, I think it's all about timing, but I have to teach tomorrow, so we should get going."

With that, they both paid for their beers and meals. The outside air hit them right in their faces. Both of them hurried to zip up their jackets.

"I can't believe how cold it is," Tyree said, but Colin saw something on the ground. A broken canister with four watches, or at least they look like watches. "Are those watches?"

"I don't think so." Colin picked up all four, "hey why don't you go ahead and get going. I'll see if these belong to anyone inside."

"You're not going back to drink, are you?" Tyree was trying to look into Colin's mind. Colin knew all Tyree wanted was for him to be safe.

"I'm not, I'll face time you when I get home." Colin started to walk inside turning around and saying, "thanks for coming."

"What are friends for? make sure you face time me." Tyree finished putting on his hood and fastening it before taking off

Tyree ran towards his car trying to beat the cold. Colin opened the door and thought wouldn't it be nice if it belonged to an attractive girl. Then he thought how that wouldn't happen. Not to him. With his luck, it would belong to a muscle-bound guy with tats wanting to punch him in the face. He decided that it's best to get it over with and walked inside.