Chapter 14

"You're pregnant?" Joe asks in surprise. "Seriously? That's the best lie you could come up with?!"

"It's not a lie. I promise!"

"You just want to trap me like you did with Gabi!" he exclaims.

"Wait! You think that I wanted this now? Of course not! It wasn't my choice!"

"Then show me proof," he says.

"Fine," I reply. "I don't want to fight so much anymore."

"Really Demi? You're going there? Because weren't you the one who left?"

"I know and I really wasn't thinking straight. But I swear that I am pregnant."

"100%?" he asks.

"Yes," I reply.

He takes a large breath. "Then I'm sorry. I hate fighting with you too."

I hug him. "Then maybe this is just what we need."

"Are you excited?" Joe questions.

"I'm still not sure. I'm happy that I'll actually get to raise the baby this time and that I'm older, and now that you're on board, I'm glad that I get to do this with you," I say, a small smile making its way onto my face.

"I guess I am a bit excited too. And I'm so sorry for saying that I don't love you. I do love you, so much, and that's why I said it. I wanted to hurt you since you hurt me."

"I know that," I smile. "And from now on, we should promise to tell each other the truth. I don't want to fight like that again."

"Me too," he says.

We spend the rest of the day together and while we are at a restaurant for supper, Joe brings up the one thing we'd been avoiding.

"Do you still want to marry me?" he asks.

"I do," I answer cautiously, "but not right away. Especially since we have the baby."

"True," he says. "I still will give you your ring back, though. Promise to tell the truth and never leave me again?" he asks holding the ring in his hand.

"I promise." And he slides the ring back onto my finger where it belongs.

"I love you," he affirms.

"I love you too."

Happiness could not have come soon enough. But what will Gabi think of this? Recently, it feels like we've barely seen Gabi. She works almost every day and tends to stay in her room a lot. Is something wrong?