Chapter 12

Demi's POV

Joe arrived back super early this morning and left again as soon as I woke up. What is going on?

"Mom?"

"Yes, Gabi," I reply.

"I was wondering if you'd rather me spend the night someplace else. I know you and Dad have to work some things out."

"That would be nice. Thanks, Sweetheart."

Gabi packs up her bag for night and leaves for her friend's house. I'm kind of glad that Joe and I will get the chance to talk without her overhearing.

When Joe comes back, I can tell that he is drunk. Not terribly drunk, but drunk enough that I didn't want to get him mad. I couldn't tell him now, and I know that he would hate me if I kept it a secret. I'm at a cross-roads.

To begin, he ignores me and goes to the living room to watch TV. 

"Joe," I start.

"Don't even say it. I know I messed up and now you'll leave me here without Gabi," he interrupts.

"Don't even say that," I say. "I would never leave you."

"You did. And that's why you need to go up to your room and leave me alone!"

Immediately I get angry. I had tried being nice, but I can't just baby him forever. Sometimes I wish he would just grow up!

"Joe! I promise I will never leave you again. I love you and I know that you love me! I just needed a break. Please?!"

"What makes you think I ever loved you?" he asks.

Tears start to form in my eyes and I run up to my bedroom.

He knew what would hurt me and said it, hopefully only for the reason that it would hurt me.

But how can I tell him now?

--------

Sorry for the really short chapter, but I just wanted to leave it at this.