18 | Pieces of Us

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN 
PIECES OF US

THE FLAME IS high, giving its surroundings an orange tint as it burns. My right hand is slightly shaking from the effort of holding the flame in this unnatural height. Once I feel ready, I start moving my hand from side to side. The fire, which is the only thing that exists for me right now, follows my movement and looks like a snake made of fire that dances to my orders. Then, I turn my hand so the inside is facing the coffee table and in a slower, yet a very steady movement, I begin raising it. The candle's flame becomes stronger and grows higher according to my hand. Now, my hand is shaking even more since more fire requires more energy from me, yet I don't stop.

"Good," Silvia mutters and I register the compliment, even though I try to ignore it in order not to break my concentration. The flame becomes slightly weaker, yet I don't give up and after a few seconds, it gets back to how it was. "Just another minute."

A small drop of sweat rolls down one of my temples as more time passes. Doing this isn't as difficult as it was but it's tiring since I'm not used to using so much magic. Then, Silvia says the word and I let my hand drop to the table and the fire is gone with no sign of it ever being lit. I lean back in my seat and clench my hand a few times to help it relax.

"That was very good," Silvia says. She hands me a glass of water and a tissue, both which I take gladly. "Your progress, in general, is very good."

After taking one sip from the water, I use the tissue to wipe my forehead. "Thanks, but that's mostly thanks to you," I reply.

The older woman smiles for a moment but doesn't say anything. While I take another sip, I notice her gaze wandering to my body before she looks at me strangely. It's only been a bit over two days since we met and yet I feel rather comfortable around her. However, not knowing why she's looking at me like this and what her gaze means makes me suspicious.

"What?" I ask in a cold tone.

She sighs before meeting my gaze. "I noticed you haven't changed your clothes since I met you," she explains carefully. "I may not know a lot about you, but know that you can turn to me if you're in a bad place and need help."

My body stiffens at her answer but I maintain my usual and slightly cold demeanor. "We agreed you wouldn't ask about these things."

"I know but I feel like I should be worried about you, in case I'm missing something important," Silvia says and I purse my lips.

While I somewhat appreciate the concern, she's not the person I would turn to if I needed help — that would be Seth or Kate. Well, Seth and I haven't talked in two days because I've been avoiding him like the plague, afraid that if we'll talk I will burst. Silvia has helped me with this, unknowingly of course, by keeping me busy with these tutorial sessions that last several hours. I can't avoid him forever but I think that I can do it until I'll know what to do with him, not that he has been trying to face me — he's either asleep or away when I'm in our room.

"Money is tight," I say and stand up to both stretch my body and get ready to leave.

We have been here for hours and after doing a quick math, I assume it's somewhere between ten and eleven. Looking out of the window, I try to take a look at my own motel room, yet all I manage to see is a small light coming from the lamp on the bedside table. I want to wait and see who is in the room, but, unfortunately, Silvia's voice interrupts me.

"Okay, I'm sorry," she says and gestures for me to relax with the inside of her palms facing me. "No more questions."

"Same time tomorrow?" I ask and cross my arms over my chest.