23 | Dead and Gone

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
DEAD AND GONE

THE SIRENS ARE well heard behind us, blue and red flashing all around the car. Seth instructs me on how to get to the motel and while following his orders, I keep glancing at the rearview mirror. I drive like I'm in a computer game, speeding and taking the opposite lanes, my adrenaline probably clouding the part of me that should care about how dangerous this is.

"Turn, turn!" Seth calls and when I do, I hold back a smile at the sight of the empty street ahead.

This street is mostly as straight as a ruler and I silently thank god for it. I count four seconds before the police cruiser is on our tail again. My gaze stays on the car and for a second, I zoom out. Seth yells at me to drive faster, but all I hear are the words Silvia once told me ringing in my head. If I'll do this, I can save us, I know it. As I count the seconds, I tighten my grip on the wheel. The car behind us seems to be getting closer now that there are no other cars between us, making my heart beat faster. Then, its two front wheels explode, the noise heard even over the sound of the sirens. Silence spreads in our car and I see both of my partners are looking behind us, their eyes wide.

"Have a little faith in me, would you?" I tell no one in particular, my voice filled with satisfaction as I get ready to make a turn in the nearest crossroad.

"Deal," Seth breaths out from the back seat.

My gaze wanders around before I make the turn, worried that more police might be right around the corner, but I see no sign of that. A bit relieved, I keep getting closer to our motel with a plan forming in my head.

When we're close, I pull the car to a stop on the street instead of getting into the parking lot. Kate and Seth hurry outside, yet I stay seated, looking for any sign of the police. While I see nothing, I think I can hear sirens in the distance.

"Come on, July," Seth calls from where he's standing, alert and ready to go.

"Go, I have a plan," I say and when he opens his mouth to protest, I add, "I know how these things work, Seth. I'll mislead them. Trust me, please. Go!"

It's easy for me to spot the conflict in his brown eyes, but a second later he's running towards the motel with Kate following close behind. Sighing in relief, I quickly scan my surroundings until I find something that's good enough and put the car into drive again.

The sirens get louder and just as I park the car at the intersection of this street and another one, I see a cruiser come from the same direction we did. I watch it through the mirror and curse when someone on the street starts pointing to the motel. It seems to be an officer that came by foot and I hope he isn't going to come after me. When both he and the police car rush to the building, my shoulders relax.

With time working against me, I hurry to get out of the car and to the other side of the street, where I can see both the motel and the crossroad. This street didn't give me an impression of a deserted one, but the presence of the police seems to have an effect; no one is on the street and hopefully, it means no one will pay attention to me.

The policemen are already walking around and yelling when I get a good view of the motel. Seeing that they haven't caught anyone, even if it's temporary, is a great relief. It takes me a second to remember which room is ours, and if Seth and Kate are inside, my time is short.

My focus moves to across the intersection of the streets, where one of the stores seems perfect to cause a distraction; it has a big showcase made of glass in the front. Seconds later, it shatters loudly, glasses flying around, covering the pavement and part of the road. Then, the same thing happens with the next shop down the street. Then, the one after that.