11 | Righteous

CHAPTER TEN
RIGHTEOUS

IT ALMOST SURPRISES me how relaxing driving around Mexico is to me. A hot wind blows in through the open windows as I watch the wilderness outside, sometimes interrupted by one or two houses. Local music plays quietly from the radio since Kate has fallen asleep across the back seat barely half an hour after we left the Titty Twister. It's been an hour of sleep for her and I find a certain comfort in knowing that the teenager can rest, even if she doesn't seem very relaxed in her sleep.

Unlike her, Seth has been in the driver's seat since we left, refusing all of my offers to take his place. His general body language seems calm, aside from the tight grip that he has on the wheel that's turning his knuckles white, and from the look he's wearing. From what it seems to me, his thoughts don't seem to be giving him a rest.

Unfortunately, our long drive can only do an okay job of keeping me safe from my own thoughts. Every few minutes, my thoughts travel back to the Twister, making me either think of someone we left there or making me remember the bad moments we went through. I try to keep those thoughts away but it's easier said than done. Very little conversation has taken place in the car since we left. I don't think either of us minds it, but the silence comes with a weight.

Another town turns into a memory right outside of my window as Seth speeds on the highway and suddenly, I feel an itch of irritation. As far as I know, we're headed nowhere, wandering through the new and unfamiliar. The endless looking road ahead of us might be filled with opportunities, yet my body feels tired and uncomfortable from being in the same position for so long, not to mention the feeling of hunger from the day that feels more like a week.

"Seth," I say and clear my throat due to not speaking for a while. "What are we doing?"

For several long moments, the only indication that he heard me is his clenched jaw and I start to wonder if maybe he hasn't. "I don't know yet," he says, giving me the feeling that he wants this to be the end of this conversation.

My gaze moves ahead again as I wonder what I should say next and how. Then, it's not just my tiredness that speaks. "Well, we need to figure it out. Now, before we run out of gas again."

He lets out a long sigh that almost sounds like a growl. "What do you suggest, then?" he asks and his caramel colored eyes meet mine. "Huh?"

"Stop at a motel somewhere; eat, shower, get out of these clothes and sleep," I say, listing everything that comes into my mind. "Then, we can plan the rest."

We both stay quiet again and I stare at him without caring if he notices. I want to press further, yet I remind myself that maybe I shouldn't. We both have been through a lot in one day. I lost almost everything that belonged to me but it was all materialistic. Seth lost his brother, even if Richie is somewhere out there, things seem to be over between them and I can only imagine how hard it must be, especially since they were close.

Time continues to pass by and my irritation continues to grow with every minute that passes until eventually, I look away from him. I stare through the windshield before I catch a glimpse of myself in the side mirror. My cheek doesn't look worse than it did but it also doesn't look better. It's still swollen and the area is colored in yellow and hints of purple. Suddenly, I feel very self-conscious, especially since my bad side is facing Seth. The sight is rather uncomfortable to look at.

My attention stays on my reflection until I notice something - a gas station. Immediately, I look at Seth, who seems to have noticed it as well. When he looks at me, I raise my eyebrows meaningfully. He sighs and being his dramatic self, he takes a sharp turn towards it in an unimpressive attempt to show his annoyance.