03 | Papa Bears Grumble

CHAPTER THREE
PAPA BEARS GRUMBLE

THE SOUND OF motorcycles is the first indication of our destination. Or more correctly, the Gecko brothers' destination — with enough time on my plate and with the help of eavesdropping on their conversation, I realized that Seth and Richie are the bank robbers I heard a few times about in my unit. 

The closer we get, the easier it is for me to see how sketchy the place we're heading to — "The Titty Twister" — looks. Bikers seem to be circling it, either driving or standing in groups near the entrance. The big neon sign above it shows clearly what's inside with an image of a topless woman. Seth and Richie don't exactly seem to fit in a place like this and among its crowd, at least in appearance. Therefore, I assume they're here for business and not pleasure.

Seth pulls over right in front of the entrance and I can hear footsteps coming from behind me. The Fuller family stands between Seth's and my seat, and I can only imagine what is going through the mind of the two teenagers and the preacher as they see where we are. 

"You know, you handled yourself pretty well back there, Jake," Seth says and glances at the older man. 

Crossing my arms over my chest, I think about how Jacob dealt with me and murmur, "I disagree."

"Told you we'd get across," Jacob replies. "Now, keep up your end."

With that, he leaves and I take a curious look at Seth. He doesn't seem very affected by the preacher's words. He leaves his seat and goes to wake up Richie, who has fallen asleep on the couch, while I finally take out my gun out of the glove compartment, tuck it back to its place in my waistband and follow everyone outside.

It doesn't surprise me that quite a strong wind is blowing outside of the Titty Twister, considering the motorcycles' movement around it. After a long, calm ride here, I feel taken aback by how quickly the bikers are passing us by, yet I come to stand next to the Gecko brothers, who are staring ahead. 

"If this is what you've been dreaming of this entire trip, I must say I'm disappointed," I say honestly and look at the two.

Seth smirks at my words but doesn't address them. Instead, he asks, "How are you feeling, brother?"

A smile spreads on Richie's lips, erasing the serious expression he has been wearing the entire time that I spent with him. "Never been better."

The longer I look around and notice things, the more the RV seems like a good place to use as a shelter from this sketchy place. Somehow, I manage to hear a man's voice above the noises that the motorcycles cause, yet I don't understand what he's saying exactly and I head towards him, intrigued. When I hear him more clearly, the way he's promoting coming inside to take a taste of the delicious flavors they have, I regret paying any attention to him.

"I did my part, we got you across the border," Jacob tells Seth and I notice that both the Fullers and the Geckos followed me. "I'm not taking my children inside and I doubt June will like this place. We're done."

As much as it annoys me that he speaks for me, I don't tell Jacob anything. Instead, I turn my attention to Seth, wondering if this is really where this bad adventure will end. If they'll let us go now, we certainly will be lucky, but a small part of me doubts it would be this easy.

"Fine, you four stay out here with the devil's rejects, have your own little Altamont," Seth says and wiggles the keys in his hands. The small movement makes it clear that I've let myself be naive for a second and so did Jacob. 

Jacob immediately protests, saying, "That wasn't the deal."

"No, the deal was we stick together until Richie and I finish our deal."