3: Lacey Gregory

3: Lacey Gregory

            To begin with, there was a mixed response to Belle's body positivity movement. Most of the negativity was directed to her, as the anonymous owner of the blog. People were confused and curious and didn't like the idea of some stranger writing things about them on the internet where it was so easily accessible to the general public.

            Who even created this site? What if you're just some sort of creepy old man on the internet stalking our school? Seriously, unless you're going to show who you are, I really don't think this is appropriate.

            I don't feel comfortable with this. Is anyone else feeling super freaked out about being targeted by this anonymous?

            This is both wonderful and creepy. But, really, who are you?

            Then there were comments that were strengthening her movement.

            I think this is the most amazing idea. I love how you're drawing attention to things that everyone hates about themselves in order to make them see that their flaws are absolutely beautiful.

            Not only is this spreading body positivity, but the anonymous blogger is doing this with intentions to make people feel good. By not announcing their identity, this allows us to focus on the people s/he is writing about. The user isn't drawing attention to themselves, but raising awareness about how beautiful everyone is. Props to you. Props.

            Adorable concept. I love how your elaborations on everyone are so thought out and meaningful. So much more deep than an artificial compliment. Fantastic way to make people feel good about themselves. Society and the media portray idealisations of people in such a manipulative way and only focus on one side of attractiveness. This blog addresses how diversity is beauty and that's something we desperately need to understand.

            It stirred havoc the next day at school. People were exchanging contemplations on who created Birthday Suits. Some people were completely against it, others were dedicated supporters, but her classmates were mostly confused. They needed more to make a true judgement and Belle completely understood that.

            She planned to write another post about Andrew Harding, a faithful Christian who was often referred to with negative connotations because of his religious practices, causing him to feel uncomfortable about his believes. The post would be up the following day, because she had a lot of homework to do.

            Well, that was her original intention.

            By the afternoon, Birthday Suits was old news. Lacey Gregory was all the school could talk about. The previous night, she had changed her profile picture on Facebook to a photograph of herself in a bikini. She had recently come back to school from a holiday in Bali and was just sharing her experience with the public. But the photograph was being blown way out of proportion.

            Both boys and girls were commenting on the picture, telling her it was 'way too exposing' and she was 'asking for guys to hook up with her' and that she was such a 'fat slut'. Belle was absolutely outraged at the response of a wonderful photograph, taken by a girl who was enjoying her holiday. The fact that she was wearing a bikini, didn't mean she had sexual intentions. She was sharing a moment in which she felt beautiful and confident and, as a result, people were slut shaming her.

            Belle didn't like that.

            It was not okay.

            So, that same afternoon, she wrote a paragraph about Lacey Gregory.

            Society says it's socially acceptable if a woman wears a bathing suit at the beach or the pool, but god forbid that woman for taking a picture of that particular moment and posting it on Facebook. Why is it so wrong for someone to have a memory and share it with their family and friends? Because if a woman shows some skin, she's instantly a 'slut' and has sexual intentions? Lacey Gregory has a gorgeous figure, but even better, she has confidence and bravery. Sometimes, bravery comes in the form of putting others before yourself. Other times, bravery comes in form of putting yourself before society's expectations. Lacey displayed the latter today, and she may not think she's beautiful, but I do.