14: Gloria Heart

14: Gloria Heart

            Birthday Suits was becoming less and less talked about, but that didn't mean everyone had stopped tuning in to Belle's posts. People were still reading and commenting, but during classes, students had other things to talk about, especially the graduating class. The annual senior lockdown was being organised and everyone was getting excited, even Belle.

            "This is going to be such a great night," Hanna said, tapping her pen against her notebook as she daydreamed. "I'm bringing mini marshmallows and heaps of chocolate."

            "I'm bringing some drinks," Belle piped up. "Do you think Terry will bring speakers?"

            "He better," one of the girls in her class, Fiona, said. She turned around in her seat and joined the conversation. "This is the perfect opportunity."

            The year group was buzzing with enthusiasm, everyone making lists of things to bring and activities to do, like murder in the dark and scavenger hunts. The leadership team even offered to make breakfast for those who didn't have to leave early for work or sporting matches.

            But this excitement started to wither when the entire grade was pulled in during their lunch period. The principal, a tall, red-faced man with a permanent sour scowl entered the room of students and everyone's stomachs dropped. Belle suddenly felt sick. What if he was going to address Birthday Suits? What if enough people and parents had complained about her blog and he was going to threaten to take necessary legal action to make sure it stopped?

            She slowly crept towards the window, fighting the urge to hang half her body out like a dog to relieve the sweat gathering on her forehead.

            "I'll try to make this quick, because we're all adults in this room and I'm sure we have better things to do, especially on such a lovely afternoon," the principal started, buttoning his blazer as he looked at the sea of students. "It has come to my attention that some students and parents have been complaining about the lockdown this Friday. I completely understand any concerns and try my best to answer any questions about the situations, but there is one thing I do not tolerate."

            Oh, God. Parents were complaining about Birthday Suits. They didn't feel comfortable with the idea of sending their child to a student event because of the anonymous blogger writing about the school. Belle's head throbbed.

            "Discrimination against gender. If you or your parents are uncomfortable with another student, please, by all means, take your concerns to any staff member of this school. But if your discomfort derives from the sex of the individual, and nothing that violates our school rules, please keep your complaints to yourself. Anyone unwilling to be accepting of the arrangements of the student lockdown is free to withdraw from the event." He gave each and every student an intimidating stare. "Dismissed."

            Belle was still feeling lightheaded, but it wasn't because of stress anymore. It was because of disgust. She knew exactly what Mr. Preston was talking about. Pulling her bag over her shoulder, she slid into the swarm of students gathering around the door, racing to get out.

Everyone seemed to be talking about her.

            Gloria Heart.

            She was a relatively new student; quiet, pretty smile. Belle didn't share any classes with her, so their contact was minimal, which made it hard for her to write a meaningful blog post about her. She didn't know much about the girl. But a week ago, a Facebook status changed that.

            Gloria Heart was born as Brandon Crosby.

            Such a confession had stirred some talk around the student body, but Belle didn't know that parents had gotten involved. With the student lockdown, parents were stressing their concerns about having a transsexual child mingling at a giant high school sleepover. Belle was so furious, the back of her neck turned red and Hanna didn't hesitate to point out that she was turning into an angry, little tomato.

            She didn't think she could handle being around people at that point, so she excused herself and locked herself in one of the bathroom cubicles. She dropped the toilet seat, not caring how much sound she made, sat down with her phone, and started typing.

            There is no checklist needed to be a certified woman. Some women like pink and shopping, some like fishing and camping. Some women like books and music, some women like movies and paintings. Some women are attracted to men, some women are attracted to women, some women are attracted to both, some women aren't attracted to any. Some women were born with female genitals, some women were born with male genitals, some women were born with both. All women are different, but that doesn't make them any less of one. Gloria Heart is a smart, independent woman, and she might not think she's beautiful, but I do.