18: Wesley Samuels

It was revision season for the students at Belle's school. With exams dangerously creeping around the corner, teachers were organising practice questions and students were bent over papers, trying to write down everything they knew without bursting into tears from all the pressure.

Belle was sitting in her English class, scribbling messily as their teacher timed them. They were given a written stimulus and now had to write as much as they could within the designated time frame. Belle had gotten into the habit of taping something to the end of her pen, giving her a little weight as she wrote. She hoped that once she was in the exam room and the extra weight was shed, her writing speed would increase notably.

"Pens down."

Belle chewed her lip and looked down at her paper. It wasn't much, but she hoped quality was on her side, since quantity obviously wasn't. Nervously, she glanced at the boy sitting next to her. He had easily written half as much as she had. She hoped the thesis she had written wouldn't pale in comparison to his introduction and first paragraph.

As the class continued, students were asked to read out what they had written. Exceptional threads were introduced into the conversation and eloquently written lines were read out loud. Belle politely listened as her fellow classmates spoke and contributed to the conversation. The final bell was so close to ringing, so her attention momentarily slipped towards the opposite side of the classroom where she saw Wesley Samuels sitting by the window.

Wesley had come to their school two years ago, with a charming smile and exotic stories about his trips around the world. Because of his parents' occupations, he was constantly moving around. His longest residence had been in Spain, where a majority of his education had taken place. His accent was still prominent when he spoke and he often got some colloquial phrases incorrect, but he was still an excellent student, and on paper, no one would have been able to distinguish that English was not his native language.

Belle had once heard him speaking Spanish on the phone. The way he effortlessly communicated his thoughts was mesmerising and she realised how difficult it must be to be constantly translating things in your head before speaking them out loud. She decided her next post was for him.

Language is beautiful. How a combination of characters create words we understand, how the pronunciation brings so much more meaning, how speech can both strengthen and destroy. But it's also not the only way to communicate with each other. Despite where you're from, there are ways to effectively convey something without having to use your voice. A simple smile is universal, so is a single tear. Your facial expressions and your body can be used to tell others things that words can't. Language isn't a limitation. It's a beauty. Wesley Samuels may not think he's beautiful, but I do.

<>