Chapter 1| Lucy

Lucy walked along the old train tracks breathing in the fresh air and relishing in the idea of what used to be on these tracks; the tracks she visited almost everyday she got the chance.

"You know, gigantic carts with wheels used to glide against these tracks?" Lucy said as her brown orbs stared at the rusted metal. The young child next to her scoffed, "as if!"

"I'm being serious Wendy," Lucy said. "I learned it history, and soon," Lucy caressed the blue haired girl, "you will too."

Wendy turned her head so Lucy's attempt to give affection was futile. "I won't believe you until I hear the teacher say it!" She crosses her arms and pouted. Lucy giggled at her childish actions.

"Shouldn't we get home? It's getting late." Wendy said as she stared up at the purple sky. Lucy stood on her toes attempting to see the beautiful sunset she heard her parents talk about.

"Yeah we should." Lucy turned around and started walking directly on the tracks, Wendy was being cautious of not to fall. She glanced up at Lucy and grabbed at her hair.

"Your hair is getting so long Lucy!" Wendy gushed, "are you going to cut it?"

"No, I like when my hair is long, like yours!" She pinched Wendy's cheeks as she blushed. "Plus it's getting colder nowadays, be a shame to cut it when it would bring me some type of warmth."

Wendy nodded understandably, "I get it." Lucy giggled with an eyebrow raised ready to tease the girl of not actually getting it, but was interrupted by her mother waving and shouting at her.

"Lucy Heartfilia!" Her mother said sternly, "tell me when I allowed you out? Please enlighten me for I don't remember." Her mother's arms were crossed with four fingers tapping at her pale arms.

Wendy 'oohed' and was ready to taunt Lucy for getting yelled out but was given her own stern voice to listen to. "Wendy!" She heard. She smiled and waved goodbye to Lucy. "Bye Lucy!"

"Bye Wendy! See you tomorrow!" Lucy shouted after the young girl. She giggled and walked towards her mother apologizing for her rude behavior.

"Sorry ma, won't happen again." Lucy said with a nervous chuckled. Layla, her twin like mother, shook her head and pushed her in the house playfully. "I cooked, so eat."

"Yes ma'am!" Lucy said happily. She ran into the dinning area to see if she could find her father in his usual chair.
"Is father still out?" She asked noticing his seat empty.

"Unfortunately yes, he is gone for the night as well. He has, and will be, working harder these days, for winter will perish all our crops." She said sadly, "which means less time with papa."

"That is saddening news mother," Lucy said. She sat down on her father's seat and smiled at her mother, "Then I will be the new papa until he gets home!"

Layla giggled, "yes of course." She placed a plate in front of Lucy, it was one fit for a man and Lucy was ready to devour it.

"It's getting a bit lonely, maybe we can adopt one of those orphans?" Layla says as she looked around the house. Since Jude isn't around as much they will be by themselves. Usually around winter Jude would be gone but no longer than a few hours. But the winters were said to be harsh this time.

"Yes!" Lucy said excitedly, "oh mother can we please adopt Wendy? Since she doesn't remember much of her mother it won't be a problem with adapting! Plus we get along fine!" Lucy said with a smile.

Layla nodded, "I'll think about it child, now eat."

Lucy nodded and picks up the meat with her hands. She takes a bite and savor the taste as if it was her last meal, and in her community you never know.

"Thank you mother for making, yet again, an amazing dinner!" Lucy said. Layla thanked her daughter and mentioned a comment about learning to cook for a future husband leaving Lucy an almost blushing mess.

"Now after you eat this you will go to sleep, I hear the women around your age will start learning more about the dark past of our history. It was a terrifying experience for me, but hopefully for a historian like you," she held Lucy's hand. "It will come easily."

"Thank you mother!"