Chapter 21

She shoots up, still on top of me, and tries hopelessly to seem innocent. The look is all over her face though. The look of being caught in the act. Justin hovers by the door for a moment, perhaps believing that his inebriated state is making him hallucenate, but what he just saw was real. I felt it.

I feel Cheryl reach feebly for my hand, grasping it in her sweaty palms. Everything is still for a moment, and then something snaps.

I watch in horror as Justin hurls himself at us, ripping Cheryl off me and pulling me by the waist. He lifts me and pins me to the wall, my defences useless against his adrenaline fight.

"No! Please stop! Don't! Kimba -" I hear relentless screams in the background, but it is no use.

"Shut up, bitch!" He spits vehemently in Cheryl's direction, while still focussing on me, "You think I don't know what you were doing just then?! Huh?! You disgust me."

He thrusts his forearm into my collarbone, now in an even more authoritizing position, and I yelp in pain.

"Shut up! You fucking slut!"

I close my eyes, as if somehow it will block out the pain, but he shakes me, forcing them open.

"Look at me you filthy whore! How dare you disrespect me, and with a woman?!"

I feel the anger rise inside me, but I don't curse at him, I don't yell.

"We are over Justin."

"I don't care. I don't fcuking care! Were you doing it before huh?! Sleeping around behind my back?!"

"That never stopped you!" I snap back.

He loosens his hold for a moment, and I take it as my opportunity. I duck out from his grasp and dart over to the door, I reach for it, and then I remember. Cheryl. I can't run. My eyes fall on her, she is shaking behind the couch, still not moved an inch from where she was last time I looked. I want to hold her, I want to whisper in her ear and tell her that everything will be ok, it is a desperate plea that can never come true. Because he's storming in her direction.

I see her eyes dart quickly in my direction, a silent pleading. But for a moment I can't move. I am rooted to the spot. I can do nothing but be a useless bystander, watching as he raises his fist.

I hear a scream, a yelp, it chokes through the room and gradually gets quieter, as though Cheryl screaming would make him more angry. It is at this moment that I realise I am not helpless, I can move, and my brain snaps into gear. I storm towards Justin and slap him fiercely. Driving my elbow into his chest and pushing him down against the couch, I yell in his face.

"How dare you! What did she do to you?! Don't touch her!"

For a moment he looks shocked, wobbling around under my strong hold, and then he freezes. A snarl appears on his face.

"Stop! Stop looking like that!" I scream at him as I push down harder.

"Stop just - uh... Can we please just calm down?" I continue as I see Cheryl huddled up against the wall, tears streaming down her face.

"Sure. We can calm down. I can tell you exactly what is going to happen." He smirks.

"No. I'm not letting you have control. Not this time. You can't play me anymore Justin."

His smile only grows as I say this, and he nods his head at Cheryl.

"Maybe I can't play you. But I can play her..."

Cheryl looks up as he says this, her eyes widening like a lost puppy. She whispers my name once, and rocks back and forth, holding herself. I can't stay here and watch. I get up and walk over to her, fully aware that Justin is able to do whatever he wishes now, but I don't care. I need to hold her.