Family Ties

"A...a b-b-baby?" I stutter, my stomach doing wild somersaults. 

"Yes. We have Sylus and as soon as we are married, we will sign the adoption papers to make him ours officially. But what do you think about giving him a brother or sister?" asks Edward, leading me out of Sylus's bedroom and down the stairs to the kitchen. Edward sits at the table and I wander around the kitchen in my bare feet, making myself a cup of tea. When it is done, I carry it over and take a seat across from Edward. I take a careful sip of the hot liquid and then set it down and lock gazes with Edward. 

"I didn't think we could what with you being a vampire," I tell him, doing my best to keep my voice from shaking. 

"There is always a chance it won't work Mel, but if it is what you want, there may be a way," says Edward, watching me closely. 

"What do you mean?" I ask. 

"Well Carlisle has been studying our kind for centuries. And he has found a way to extract the vampire gene from a sample, but only if the sample is no longer connected to us. If he can extract the vampire gene from my...donation, then it will have my DNA and should still work in theory to get you pregnant. We have never tried it before and this is all theory and you are at perfect liberty to say no and I will change you the second we are married. And there is always adoption or we can do artificial insemination with a human donor of our choice," explains Edward. 

"If we are going to have a baby Edward, I want it to be ours, not just mine. But do you really think it will work?" I ask. 

"Well, there are 3 outcomes if we try. 1, you will have a health human baby. 2, nothing will happen, it won't take and you won't be pregnant. Or 3 and this is where the trouble lies, Carlisle won't be able to get rid of all the Vampire genes and you will have a half vampire baby," says Edward and his jaw begins to clench at the end. 

"What do you think Edward? Should we do it?" I ask unsure. 

"Mel, if we don't do this, If it is only me, you and Sylus for the rest of eternity, I will be the happiest man who ever walked this Earth. I only brought this up because I see the way you are with Sylus and if you want more kids, I will not deprive you of that chance. I wanted to give you options, especially since there is a decent chance that we can have a baby together. But whatever you decide, I will support you in every way," says Edward, reaching out and taking my hand in his. 

"Do you want another baby Edward? Your own baby?" I ask. 

"Sylus is mine Mel, I am his dad and I will always be his dad. So if we have another baby, I will have two of my own kids, not one. But the decision lies with you," he tells me. 

"I understand that Edward, but I want to know how you feel. Forget the risks and the chance that it may not work. In this moment we are just two people, in love and getting married. Would you like to have a baby with me?" I ask 

"Yes Mel. If you want this, I really do want to have a baby with you. So what do you say?" asks Edward and I can see the excitement and apprehension in his expression. 

"Edward, I would love to have a baby with you. But I do have one condition," I tell him. 

"What is that?" asks Edward, fighting to keep the smile off his face. 

"We have to get married and we have to do it soon. I will not be pregnant at my wedding but I don't want to wait too long," I explain. 

"We will be married in two weeks time. And Alice already knows and is planning it as we speak. And, she also knows about us trying to have a baby and is barely able to contain herself. She is dying to tell everyone, but knows that we will kill her if she spills," says Edward with a chuckle. 

"Well it looks like we have a lot to do over the next month so I should probably get some sleep. Why don't you take Emmett and Jasper and go hunting. If there is a problem Alice is only seconds away and she'll see it coming a mile away," I suggest. 

"I'm okay, I don't need to hunt," says Edward, but I don't believe it for a second. I can see the dark shadows beneath his obsidian eyes. I stand and he holds his arms open for me. I settle in his lap, my arms around him and my face nestled in his neck. 

"You need to go hunt Edward. We will be fine here. You can even get one of the others to come babysit if it makes you feel better. But you need to go," I say, running my lips over the cold stone skin of his neck. He shivers under me and I hear a light sigh. 

"You don't play fair," he sighs. 

"Which is why I win," I say smiling. I kiss him long and hard on the lips and then usher him out of the door. 

The next day has me in a small dress shop in Seattle while Alice picks out dress after dress after dress. As soon as I get a dress on and walk out of the dressing room Alice shoves me back in with a different dress. It feels like we are there for hours before I finally find the right dress. It is sleek and old fashioned and makes me feel like a princess, as cliched as that sounds. 

For the next two weeks I feel like all we do is run. Alice takes care of almost everything but she has us in fittings and ok-ing every detail from the guest list to the food. But being so busy has its perks. It seems like the 2 weeks flash by in hours and soon I am pulling on my dress, grabbing my flowers and following Rosalie and Alice down the stairs of the Cullen house. Edward is waiting for me at the end of the aisle, Jasper and Emmet beside him. The ceremony goes by in a tear blurred flash, but I can't take my eyes off Edward. 

"I now pronounce you man and wife," says the minister and then I am in Edwards arms and his lips are on mine. 

"It is my great honor to present to you, Mr and Mrs Edward Cullen," exclaims the minister and then we are walking back down the aisle. 

Music swells around us as we step outside to the reception area and the portable dance floor. We are surrounded by white and deep royal blue silk and flowers and Edward pulls me onto the dance floor. We begin spinning and everyone around us cheers and then fades away as I lock eyes on Edward. He is practically glowing with happiness and his smile is so bright it is almost blinding. 

"You look so beautiful," he says quietly in my ear. 

"Not compared to you. You look like a God," I tell him with a smile. I hear him scoff in my ear. 

"I am like a slug compared to the butterfly," he says as the song ends and we dance toward the edge of the dance floor. Next I dance with Carlisle while Edward dances with Esme. I dance with both Jasper and Emmett and a couple kids from school before I am finally back in Edwards arms. But this time we aren't alone. Sylus is sandwiched between us giggling as we spin. His hands are gripping Edwards white dress shirt and he is wearing the cutest little suit I have ever seen. I have never been more happy and for the first time since my parents died all those months ago, I have my family and I will never let go. 

"I love you Edward, more than anything," I tell him and a soft, heart stopping smile curves his lips.

"I love you too Mrs Cullen."