Essay Partners

The next morning is very similar to yesterday, but I check my phone as soon as I wake up and immediately reply to Cal's text. 

Cal Good morning baby. How are you feeling? 

Me Good morning. I'm ok 

Cal Do you want me to drive you to school? 

Me Is it okay if I ride my bike? I like to ride it while the weather is still decent. 

Cal Of course you can ride your bike. I will meet you at school. I love you. 

Me You too 

Once I am all ready for school, I stuff Alice's clothes in my backpack, kiss Sylus goodbye and head out. Since this morning went a little smoother than yesterday, I get to school before Cal. But as I am looking around, trying to spot his green Dodge truck, my gaze falls on a shining silver Volvo and the 5 beautiful people emerging. While the other 3 siblings head for the building, Edward and Alice make a beeline for me and I can feel my body tense. I am wearing long sleeves and long pants even though it is quite warm, but still cloudy. 

"Please, don't start. Cal will be here any minute and if he sees..." I start but Alice holds up a hand and stops me. 

"Mel, we can't just watch as he slowly kills you," says Alice very quietly. 

"You can and you will. Here are your clothes. Thanks for letting me borrow them," I tell her and pull her clothes out of my bag. 

"Mel," starts Alice again but I shake my head. 

"Alice, this is my decision. If you can't accept that, then we can't be friends," I tell her matter of factly. She scowls and glides away. Then its Edward's turn to start. 

"Mel, I can help you. I won't let him come anywhere near you or your family," he says quietly so none of the passing students will hear our conversation. 

"Edward, please, I am grateful for you and your sister trying to help and believe me, I would love to take you up on your offer. But you don't seem to understand, he will kill me. I tried to leave him before and he dam near succeeded in beating me to death. Then, last night he came close again just because you were with me in the music room yesterday. Even if I accepted your help, there is no way you can protect me and my family 24/7," I explain and frustration flashes across his features. 

"Yes, I can," he says with his dark golden gaze begging me to agree. For just a moment, I lose all sense of the conversation and get lost in his hypnotic stare, but reality returns in the form of a large green truck squealing to a stop two spaces away. 

"No, you can't" I say dejectedly and slip away from him. 

Cal watches me suspiciously as I walk over, but I quickly defuse the situation. I know Cal will be reluctant to start a fight with me after last nights loss of control, so I lie and beg that he will just let it go. 

"He was asking me about our English assignment we were supposed to do yesterday," I say and reach up to kiss him on the lips. 

With a last glare at Edward's retreating back, he returns my kiss and winds his arms gently around my waist. 

"I dreamt about you last night," he says as we walk toward science. 

"Was it a good dream?" I ask, playing nice. This is how I wish our relationship could be. 

"The best," he says kissing me on the temple. "And I hope we can pick up where my dream left off when you come over tonight." 

"I can't come over tonight Cal. I promised my grandma I would be home to watch Sylus so she could go to bingo tonight. But I will call you as soon as he is asleep," I say hoping to appease him. Apparently the sensual tone in my voice works and he nods in agreement.