Looking to the Future

I feel like I am floating and can barely get enough air into my lungs. My knees are practically jello and my hands are shaking as I drop to my knees and throw myself into Edwards arms. He closes his embrace around me, holding me tight against him as I cry silently into his shoulder. 

"Is that a yes," he whispers and I can hear the smile on his face. 

"Yes! Yes! Edward, I can't think of anything I would rather do. I would love to be your wife," I tell him, pulling away just enough to look at his face. His eyes are shining brighter than the stars outside and his smile is heart shattering. He cups my face with both hands and pulls my lips to his. After a long moment where we simply kiss and bask in each others utter happiness, we break apart. 

"What should we do now? We have the whole night to ourselves in this beautiful house," says Edward. 

"Well that tub upstairs looked mighty cozy," I suggest and his golden eyes turn a shade darker. 

Before I can even move he has scooped me into his arms and we are upstairs in the master bathroom. Edwards hands are swift and almost invisible as he slips out of his clothes and then helps me with my own. I start the water and adjust it to a pleasant temperature for both of us. Edward gets in first and leans against the back, his arms on the sides. I step in next and settle myself between his legs, my back to him. I shut off he water and turn on the jets and then lean back against him. The coolness of his skin is a pleasant contrast to the hot water. His arms wind around my waist and he rests his chin on the top of my head. 

"Edward..." I begin, unsure how to voice my worry. 

"Yes love?" he asks. 

"I have been thinking and we have a problem, well I do anyway," I continue. 

"What is that?" he asks though he could easily pick it out of my head if he wanted. 

"Well, I am human. I am not immortal like you. Eventually I will grow old and I will die, and so will Sylas," I tell him and I feel him stiffen behind me. 

"Yes, I know," he says quietly. 

"Well are you sure you really want to marry me? I mean, you could find someone, you know...like you. Someone who will live forever," I say, even though every word breaks my heart. 

"I could never find someone else, even if I wanted to. You have stolen my heart and your hold can never be broken or forgotten. When you do die, and Sylas, I will find a way to join you," he says matter of factly. 

"Don't ever talk that way Edward. Never!" I demand, but he just shrugs. "You know, there is a way to solve this problem," I say carefully. 

"Yes, I know," he says. 

"You have thought about it?" I ask surprised. 

"You have to understand. From the moment I realized I was in love with you, the thought of your death has haunted me. The thought of losing you, even 80 years from now is too painful to think about. But to ask you to become a monster like me, to give up your soul and your humanity, that is the most selfish thing I could ever ask," Says Edward, his voice dark with ancient sadness. 

"That's the thing Edward, you don't even have to ask. I would give up almost anything to be with you forever. But what about Sylus?" I ask. 

"Well, when he got older, we could give him the choice. As much as I hate the thought of you becoming like me, I just can't handle the thought of losing you or Sylus," he says, self disgust dripping from every word. 

"When would you turn me?" 

"After we are married, when you are ready if it is really what you want," he says. 

"I want you to turn me the day we get back from our honeymoon," I say, my heart pounding in my chest as we talk about the end of my life as I know it. 

"If that is what you want," he says quietly. 

"And I have one more question," I tell him. 

"I don't know where Cal went Mel. I haven't seen him or caught his scent anywhere around you for weeks," he answers, picking the question out of my head. 

"We haven't seen the last of him Edward," I say. 

"You are probably right, but I will never let him hurt you or Sylus ever again Mel, I promise," he says, tightening his grip on me. 

I decide that we have had enough seriousness and that we need to spend our alone time a little more...constructively. 

Edward, reading my mind once again, is out of the tub with me in his arms in less than a second and then we are falling, still wet, onto the huge bed. Edwards fingers run over the skin of my neck then my chest and down my stomach to my hips and back up. His lips run over the base of my neck. His hips shift against mine and I clench the bunched up blankets beneath me. Bright stars dot my vision as our bodies tangle together and head for blissful oblivion. 

The next day, after Edward and I are both showered and dressed, Alice brings Sylus over to see his new home. The three of us watch as he crawls all over the soft grass, exploring his new surroundings and playing with his new toys. But it is cold outside and pretty soon we have to take him inside. In the house Sylus can't stop giggling as Edward crawls after him, chasing him around the room. Every time he looks at Edward, he babbles dada and even says mama to me twice. Alice finally leaves in a huff when she looks into the future and sees that he won't say her name for another month and a half. That evening, I cook for me and Sylus and then the three of us settle down in the living room to watch a movie. By the time the last rays of sunlight fade behind the nearby mountains, Sylus has drifted off to sleep against Edwards chest, his tiny head resting against Edward's shoulder. 

We carry him up to his room and lay him down in his crib, pulling the blanket over him. Edward steps back a bit and pulls me against him. For a long time he just holds me as we watch Sylus sleep. Eventually it is Edward that breaks the silence and what he has to say leaves me shocked and speechless. 

"What would you say to having one more baby before I turn you?"