Christmas Gifts

I have never seen so many presents as were under the tree Christmas morning. I wake up around 7:30 in the morning when I hear Sylus fussing in crib. I roll out of bed and scoop him up. I change his diaper and snap back up his pajamas. When I look back at the bed, Edward is lounging there, fully dressed, back from hunting the night before. I carry Sy over and lay on the bed, setting Sylus between us. He immediately reaches for Edward and starts babbling away. He has been so close to talking the last week or so I can barely stand it. 

"Mama Sy, say mama," coos Edward. I am getting used to being called Sylus's mother, though for the first couple days it really bothered me. But then I realized that if I am not his mother, he doesn't have one. 

"Mama, mama," I chant, laughing as he keeps babbling away. Alice is going to be pissed if her name isn't his first word. She has been trying to get him to say it since we moved in. But she will just have to be disappointed because Sylus smiles, looks straight at Edward and says "dada." 

My gaze moves to Edwards face. His eyes are strangely shiny and I can see him swallowing repeatedly. he reaches out and touches Sylus's face, running his fingers over his soft cheek. 

"Yeah Sylus, dada," he whispers, his voice cracking. He leans closer and touches his lips to Sylus's forehead. 

"Merry Christmas Edward," I tell him and he smiles and then gives me a kiss, Sylus wiggling between us. 

"Merry Christmas Mel," he says. Just then Alice comes bursting in and Sylus giggles and holds out his hands. 

"There is my little man," says Alice with a dazzling smile. She dances over and scoops him up. "Come on everyone, there are presents to open." then she is out the door and we are alone. 

Instead of getting up, I scoot closer to Edward until our bodies are pressed together. His arms wind around me and we twist until I am sitting on top of him, strattling his hips. I see his jaw clench as I shift my hips relentlessly and then his hands are on my waist, stilling my movements.

"They are expecting us downstairs and if you don't stop there is no way I will be able to control myself. It has been too long," he says through clenched teeth. He has a point. We haven't done anything more that kiss since that first time and he isn't the only one that feels it is time to spend time ALONE together. 

"Well, then I guess we should go downstairs since it is Sylus's first Christmas," I say and roll off him. I step into the closet and pull on some jeans and a t-shirt. 

Downstairs everyone is watching Sylus tear up a pile of wrapping paper, his huge pile of gifts laying unopened and untouched. I laugh and I can feel Edward shaking with laughter beside me. 

"Mel!" says Esme when she sees me and sweeps over to give me a hug. "Follow me and see your gift," she says and leads me by the arm out to the garage. I see Edward's car, Rosalie's car and Alice's car. Then next to my bike I see a brand new charcoal grey 2010 Dodge Charger with a brand spankin new car seat in the back. 

"This is too much," I gasp as I stride over and run my hands over the perfect paint and open the door. 

"It is from me, Carlisle, Emmett, Rose and Jasper," says Esme. 

"Thank you, so much!" I say hugging her tight. 

"Your welcome," she says, hugging me back and then slipping away. 

"Alice's gift will have to come later, after my gift," says Edward smiling. 

"This is so much Edward," I say, slipping behind the steering wheel. 

"You deserve it all and more Mel. You have made us more of a family than we have ever been, you and Sylus. You have given us a gift that no amount of money could ever buy and we just want to show you how much we appreciate it. But now I can hear Alice coming to get you dressed for our date and I have a few things to finish. I will see you in a couple hours," says Edward and he brushes a quick kiss across my lips and then he is gone and Alice is standing in front of me.