Chapter 23 - Pete's POV

It never failed to amaze me how much Bronx liked Charlie, he wasn't that easy liking people. I knew Ash hated the fact that Bronx liked Charloe so much, she didn't like her at all. Maybe it was because she saw some sort of competition in her, Charlie was a lot prettier and maybe Ash realised that. I hoped that she'd see charlie all dressed up for going out later so she'd be even more pissed. I didn't care, she never let it out on Bronx so I couldn't have cared less if she was upset or not since she never trusted me with Bronx.

I sat next to Bronx on the couch, he was watching some cartoon. I always enjoying watching kids shows like that with him, it was like I was still a child myself again when I those kinds of things. "Dad?" he asked and turned to me. "Yes?" I would never get used to the fact that I was a dad, I never felt like it. He climbed onto my lap. "Do you like Charlie?" he asked. I smiled. "what do you mean?" I knew he understood the difference between liking someone and liking someone. "Would you marry her?" he asked. I laughed and couldn't help but wish I was a kid again too so I could ask inappropriate questions like that without anyone feeling awkward about it. Kids didn't know better so you couldn't blame them for always saying what they were thinking out loud. "No, I don't love her, you know?" "You don't?" "Well, I do as a friend. But not as someone I'd marry" I explained. "So you loved mom?" he wondered. I smiled, I would never say anything bad about Ashlee, no matter what she'd tell Bronx about me, I wasn't like that. "I did when we got married" I replied. "But not anymore, now I also love her like a friend." He smiled. "You don't love anybody more?" he asked. His smile was so cute, I didn't even know what I'd do without him. "No, not at the moment, I think."

Before I could give it any more thought, Charlie came down the stairs and she looked stunning without too much effort, it was just ... wow. Even though she ran right up to us and took Bronx into her arms like a child running towards a friend, she didn't seem childish at all because her style was always perfect. She was wearing a black skirt that complimented her long legs, just like her high heels, and a purple top that had a low neckline but there wasn't too much showing. Her hair was down and the decent make-up she had on made her look really fancy, she was such a pro. "You can get ready now, I'll stay with this little guy" she said and smiled at Bronx. "Alright ... thanks" I stuttered and while I was walking up the stairs, I still turned around to stare back at her. Wow.

I showered quickly, happy that Ashlee would see Charlie all dressed up. I put one some black skinnies, dried and straightened my hair, then I put on a grey shirt and a jeans jacket. I came back down to Charlie and Bronx playing a card game that Bronx had brought from Ash's place. "Having fun?" I asked, still stunned by how amazing Charlie looked. She was always pretty but when she made a little effort... "Yeah" she nodded and Bronx smiled at me. "He's so much better at this game than I am, he keeps winning" she laughed. Bronx looked so proud even though it was obvious to me that she was letting him win. The doorbell rang so I walked across the hall and opened.

Of course it was Ashlee, early as ever. I really hated her for that sometimes. "All dressed up, are you going somewhere?" she asked and walked past me into the house. She took off her sunglasses. "Oh, hi" she said into Charlie's direction, then looking at me again. "Yeah, we're going out to the club." "You know there are other clubs than yours, honey!" she said and I saw Charlie rolling her eyes without Ash or Bronx noticing. She picked up Bronx and put the cards back into the box with the other hand, giving it to Bronx when she was done and they came over. "Did you have a good time, sweetheart?" Ashlee asked and took Bronx from Charlie's arm. He nodded with a smile and he seemed happy, I was glad about that. Now Ash stared at Charlie and the moment I had looked forward to had come. "Oh, you're going" she said. "I did say we" I replied because she didn't get it. Charlie looked confused and raised one of her perfect eyebrows. "Yeah" She said. "Don't you think the skirt's a bit too short?" Ashlee asked. Normally she always wore skirts like that herself but as it happened while she was making that comment, she was wearing white skinnies. Charlie turned red but tried to keep calm and not yell at Ashlee in front of Bronx which I loved because she was always so caring. "Are you sure we can't see that you're on your period through those white jeans?" she said quietly, quick enough for Bronx not to get it but Ashlee had heard her. She gasped and just turned around, leaving.

"Is the skirt too shot?" Charlie asked me and looked up when the door shut. "What? No, you look amazing, really. I'm still stunned." She turned red again, this time because she was blushing. And because she was uncomfortable with compliments. I asked myself why because I couldn't be the only one ever telling her stuff like that. She kissed my cheek. "Thank you." I smiled. "Come on, let's go" I said and took her hand, pulling her out to the car.