Chapter 15

I stayed up until late at night because I wanted to explain everything to Pete once he got home. He came back at 4am and I was so fucking tired. When I heard the key turn in the door, I stood up from the couch and crossed the hall. “Hey, Miller, what are you still doin’ up?” he asked, I was glad he wasn’t drunk. “You forgot your phone and Ashlee turned up on your doorstep, with Bronx.” “What?!” He walked over to his jacket he had forgotten his phone in and checked his messages even though I could’ve just told him. “Fuck … what did you do?” “I told her that I could take care of Bronx because she was about to go out somewhere.” “So, he’s here?” “Yeah, I brought him to bed at like 9.” “Oh … okay. Hey, I’m sorry that she did that and…” “No, hey, it’s fine, I offered and it’s alright, Bronx is adorable and it was easy to take of him, you know I like him.” “Oh my god, Charlie, thank you so much!” he said and hugged me, kissing my cheek. “It’s alright, it’s the least I could do after you taking me in like that” I said and smiled. “You’re the best, seriously.” I blushed lightly. “How was the party?” “It was awesome, really but I hate that you weren’t there.” “Well, I’ll be going to bed.” “Yeah, same.”

When I woke up the next morning, Pete wasn’t next to me anymore even though we had both fallen asleep beside eachother. I got up and put n my favourite skinnies and a Panic! Top. When I came down into the kitchen, Pete was making breakfast and Bronx sat at the kitchen counter on one of the stools so I sat down next to him. “Morning.” “Morning, did you sleep well?” I asked Bronx and messed up his hair. “Yes” he said with his adorable smile. “Will you hang out with me more often, now that you live here?” he asked with his innocent kid voice. Pete turned around and smiled at me because Bronx seemed to like me so much. I nodded. “Yeah, sweetie, if you want me to.” “Yeah!” He was just so freaking cute. Whenever I saw him, I tried not to think about having kids myself. I wanted a kid, of course I did but I was going to be 30 soon and when I had been younger, I had always felt like that’d be too old to become pregnant. And I didn’t have a boyfriend or a husband. When I had been younger, I had imagined that I’d be married long before turning 30 but here I was, living at a friend’s house that was famous, without a boyfriend and a job. I was a complete loser. I shook my head and tried not to think about that kind of shit, focusing on Bronx instead.

Ashlee had the nerve to pick up Bronx at noon already, giving Pete absolutely no time to hang out with him. She didn’t even thank me, she just bitched at Pete because he hadn’t been there last night. I just wanted to slap her again and I almost did but held myself back. “I’m sorry that she didn’t thank you, you should know that I’m thankful for both of us that you took care of our kid, okay?” Pete said to me when he had closed the door behind Ashlee and Bronx. “It’s alright, it was fun to hang out with him, he’s such a cutie.” Pete smiled.

“So, any news on the job, slash, apartment front?” “No, I looked all night, nothing.” “Listen, I could get you a job somewhere, I’m sure. I just have to ask around.” “You won’t.” “Why not?” “Because I don’t want to live all off of your pity for me.” He smiled at me, shaking his head. “I don’t pity you, I just want to help.” “But you don’t even know my work.” “Then give me something to read and I’ll at least arrange a job interview. That way you can try to get the job yourself.” “Are you sure you don’t mind? You’ve already done so much.” “It’s not a problem and you don’t need to feel like you owe me anythingback either.” “Pete…” “Alright, all done, discussion’s end, I’m making some calls.” “But…” “The discussion is over already!” he sang, disappearing upstairs.

On the sofa, my phone rang. I jogged over and picked it up. “Yes?” “Hey, Charlie! What are you doing? I only just got your text explaining. Callie told me and Sofia everything! I’m so sorry. But it’s big that you moved in with Pete. Is everything okay now?” “Yeah, I’m fine, I’m sorry I didn’t call.” “Oh, don’t worry about it. Is there still nothing going on between you and Pete?” I rolled my eyes. “No, we’re just friends, I told you. And I really don’t want to talk about all the job shit right now, I’m sorry. But Pete is trying to help me get a job interview.” “Wow, that is so cool of him.” “I know” I sighed. “What are you up to right now?” “Nothing.” “DO you wanna go out tonight? I’ll get Sofia and Callie and we’ll have a girls’ night.” “What? Like last time?” “Hey, that went wrong, I know. But we’ll go to a normal club without any celebs.” I laughed. “Yeah … okay.” “Great! I’ll pick you up at 8! My treat!” “But…” “Bye!” she sang and had hung up already.

So I decided to take a shower and then get dressed in a short skirt and heels, a light top and a black jacket. I didn’t use too much make up on my eyes but used red lipstick and then teased my hair up a little, when I was done, I smiled at the mirror. Pete walked in on me in the bathroom because I had left the door open and stopped. “Hey, wow! You look amazing, Miller. Going out?” “Yeah…” “Well, you will make all the guys’ heads spin, I’m sure. You look stunning.” He bit his lip. I laughed and blushed, starting to feel uncomfortable. “Thank you.”