Last chance

Chapter 69

"I don't know Mom. I just" I sighed and looked down at the floor. "I just got tired of it." My mom and I were currently standing on their small back porch talking about what was going on with Marshall and myself. Max was taking a nap with Craig in their room. They really had a good bond.

"I know sweety. But this is your husband and he needs you." My mom said putting her hand on my shoulder. I looked at her with a small frown.

"I know Ma, and I want to be there for him, really I do. But I got tired of being second to him. I know he's taking Proof's death hard, but nearly killing himself didn't even stop him." I said rubbing a hand over my face.

"I'm so sorry baby. Maybe he wi-" She was cut off mid sentence when there was a knocking at the front door. She glanced over her shoulder then gave me a sorry smile. "Sorry sweety. Let me just go check who that is. I'll be right back." I nodded then shoved my hands in my hoodie pocket. My back was to the door and I didn't bother to turn around when I heard the door open again.

"Kylie?" That soft whisper sent a shiver down my spine. I went rigid and just wished the ground would swallow me in now. "Baby, I'm sorry." I closed my eyes and took a step away when he reached out for my shoulder. I didn't want to look at him, because I know I'll just give in when I do.

"What are you doing here Marshall?" I asked him in monotone, still not facing him.

"I came to get my wife and son back." He said and I turned to face him. I wanted to snort in his face, but that would just most probably start another fight. And right now I was so completely tired of fighting. I just wanted to go back to the time when he was 15 and I was 14 and life was so much more simple.

"I wish I could believe that." I said looking down at the ground.

"What do you want me to do Kylie? Because I swear to god I'll do it." Marshall said sounding in pain. I looked up at him to find that he was looking at me, waiting for an answer.

"I don't know Marshall. I just want my husband back. Actually no, I want my best friend back." I said and Marshall frowned, hurt evident in his eyes.

"What are you saying Kylie? Do you want a divorce?" He asked me and my eyes widened.

"What? No, baby what I'm saying is that I want you to just be you again. I don't like this new Marshall, I want the old one back." I said and Marshall sighed.

"Don't you think I want the old me back too? Fuck, I hate what I've become. I fucking hate that my children don't want to see me because they're afraid of me. I hate the fact that for the past three night, I had to go to bed alone. I need you back baby. I can't do this without you." His voice broke and I saw his eyes fill with tears.

"I'm sorry Marshall. I hate that I'm doing this to us, but I just. I need to have a break from all the fighting and screaming and shit. It's not healthy for Max to grow up in a place where there's always screaming matches going on." I said shaking my head at the thought of Max having to grow up the way I did. I will not allow that.

"Where is he?" He asked with a frown. I felt bad for keeping Max away from him. I guess he must have really missed him. I would miss him too if I didn't see him for three days.

"Having a nap with Craig." I said and Marshall nodded. We were silent for a while and to be honest I was starting to feel a little awkward.

"I've been going to church meetings." He said out of the blue and I frowned at him. He smiled and dear god did that make me want to smile too. "For the addiction, but it's not working out really."

"So you're just going to give up?" I asked and wanted to roll my eyes. Give it to Marshall to give up that easy. His eyes snapped up to mine and he frowned.