Chapter Fourteen

I sat down next to Enjolras and stared down the dark street, watching for what may be coming next.

"Valerie, are you doing ok? After you know." Enjolras said as he kept his eyes forward.

"Yeah, I mean I'm going to miss her like crazy, but she can finally be a peace." I said sadly.

"And what about Marius, I saw you guys talking before." He said looking at me.

"Yeah, I apologized for my outburst earlier" I sighed. Out the corner of my eye that Enjolras was trying to stifle a laugh. "What? What could possibly be that funny?" I said raising an eyebrow at him.

"I was just thinking about your outburst. I have never seen you that angry! It was rather funny, but super cute." He said smiling at me. I shoved his shoulder as I started to laugh.

"It wasn't funny! I was really upset with him!"

"I know, but I still thought it was funny to see it." Enjolras said leaning over to kiss me. I smiled into the kiss. After the crazy night we had, it was nice to have some time alone with Enjolras, just like it used to be before this whole thing began. When we pulled apart we turned back to keep our watch, my head leaning on Enjolras' shoulder. We sat like this for a while, until I swear I saw something moving in the distance, down the street.

"Did, you see that?" I said sitting up straight so that I could get a better look.

"See what?" Enjolras said squinting into the darkness. "I don't, see anything."

"No, Enjolras. There is a man walking towards us!" I said pointing to a figure that started to grow larger as it approached us. Enjolras and I stood up quickly and Enjolras pushed me behind him as he pointed his rifle at the approaching figure.

"Don't shoot!" The man said holding up his hands. "I come as a volunteer." He stated, this had gotten the attention of the others who were sitting below us.

"You wear a guard's uniform." Enjolras said, not believing a word the man had to say.

"Yes, that is how they let me though, they thought I was one of them. But I am not. Please Monsieur, I am on your side." The man said taking a step closer. I looked at Enjolras, as he stared at the man in the uniform. He nodded to some of the men to move aside the cart we used to block the entrance. They let the man in, but he was greeted by more guns, as Grantaire, Combeferre, Courfeyrac, Jean and Joly crowd around the man, pointing their guns at him.

"You see that prisoner over there." Joly said pointing to Javert who was still tied to the staircase in the café.

"He was a volunteer, just like you." Grantaire added in.

"A spy who calls himself Javert." Jean stated.

"He's going to get it too." Grantaire said, as they started to push the volunteer towards the café.

"No wait! I know him!" Gavroche shouted from the barricade. The boys all looked at him with slight confusion. The volunteer looked up with a sigh of relief, which quickly disappeared.

"MARKSMEN ON THE ROOF!" he said grabbing a gun from Jean, and shooting at a soldier who was on the roof. I quickly grabbed Gavroche and pulled him to cover under the barricade, as all the boys started shooting at the soldiers who tried to ambush us from above. Everyone began to cheer as the few soldiers left began to run. Enjolras pulled the volunteer aside to the entrance of the café.

"Thank you, Monsieur, I am in your debt." Enjolras said placing a hand on the man's soldier.

"Give me so thanks Monsieur, there is something you can do." The Volunteer said looking over to Javert tied at the stairs.