Chapter Five

I was woken the next morning by the sun beaming through the small window in the bedroom. I stretched out my arms above my head and stared out the window. I sat up in the bed, pulling my knees to my chest as I looked around the room. I looked next to me and saw the book Enjolras had given me to read. And picked it up running my hand over the cover.

This was the first time I was able to wake up on my own, and not my mother banging on my door. I woke up without a worry of what would be instore for me today. I threw the blanket to the side and let me feet hit the cold floor. I walked over to the wash basin that was set out on the dresser at the end of the bed and splashed some water on my face before I got dressed back into the dress I wore yesterday.I picked up the book and I slowly opened the door quietly, so that I wouldn't wake Enjolras. I poked my head out of the door to find Enjolras sitting at his desk. I watched him from the door as he was deep in thought, scribbling down words onto a blank piece of parchment. There were dark circles under his eyes, which meant that he didn't sleep well. I felt a rush of guilt because I had taken his bed last night. I walked over quietly and placed my hand on his shoulder. He startled.

"I'm sorry!" I said pulling my hand away as he turned around in his chair.

"It's quite alright! How did you sleep?" He said grabbing my hand and kissing it.

"Very well thank you! And you? Judging by those dark circles you didn't sleep well" I smiled at him

"Well, the truth is, I never went to bed. I tried to sleep, but my mind started flooding with ideas, I just hand to write them down." He said looking back down at the paper.

"You should rest." I said going over to sit on the couch with the book.

"There is so much to be done. I have to think of the people." He said picking up his pen again.

"You have to think of yourself as well. You need to sleep." I said concerned.

"I'll sleep when I finish here." He said. I went to go say something else, but figured I shouldn't argue. Instead I opened the book and started to read. I read through the first few scenes of the book when I looked up at Enjolras who was now slumped over his desk with his head laying down on the stack of papers he was working on. I couldn't help but smile at his as his chest rose and fell with his gentle breathing. I set down the book next to me and went into the bedroom grabbing a blanket off the bed and draping it over him. I resumed my reading a bit more before Marius emerged from his bedroom scratching the back of his neck.

"Goodmorning!" He said loudly.

"Shh!" I shushed him as I pointed over to Enjolras.

"Oh, sorry" Marius apologized. "I was going to go to the market. Want to join me?" He asked walking over to me.

"Yeah sure, just give me a minute." I whispered as I quietly walked into the bedroom, returning the book to the nightstand and I went to grab my bag, only to realise that I didn't take it with me. I shrugged and walked back out to Marius who was waiting by the door. We left as quietly as we could, and made our way down the stairs and into the busy streets. Marius and I were walking from vendor to vendor through the market when Marius yelled out to someone.

"Eponine! Hey Eponine! Wait up!" He said waving his arm to get their attention. Marius grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the fruit stand and over to a girl who was dressed in a dark green dress and he hair all tattered and knotted.

"Eponine, this is my friend Valerie, Valerie this is Eponine." Marius said introducing us.

"It's lovely to meet you Eponine!" I smiled at her.