Chapter Seven

Months had passed, and we continued to rally outside General Lamarque's home. Eponine was right, it was the perfect spot to attract people's attention. Our numbers had grown tremendously over the past few rallies, as people began to agree with us and work towards change in France. With each passing day Enjolras would dive deeper and deeper into this revolution, spending hours at the café, or at his desk at home. He really didn't pay attention to much else, except that. Sure, I got to be with him every day, and yes, we lived together. But I hardly saw him anymore. I was starting to feel that this revolution was starting to become the most important thing in his life. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what he is doing, and it was my choice to join the cause, but at the same time, I wanted to spend time with the man I loved.

We could feel that we were getting closer to the beginning of the revolution, but we still didn't have time for our plan to be put into motion.

Enjolras and Marius were leading yet another rally outside of General Lamarque's home. While they were speaking, myself and the others were handing out more pamphlets. Today the crowds were even larger, and the poor were going wild, crowding around the carriages in the square. When I had run out, I went to stand next to Eponine, and listen to what they were staying.

"Look down! And show some mercy if you can. Look down upon your fellow men!" Enjolras called out over the crowd.

"When is this going to end!" I heard Coufreyac call out.

"When are we going to live?" Another called.

"Something has to happen now! Something has to give" The crowd began to shout.

"Where are the leaders of the land? Where is the king who runs this how?" Enjolras said throwing pamphlets into the crowd.

"Only one-man, General Lamarque, speaks for the people here below." Marius said as Coufreyac ran over to Enjolras and whispered in his ear. Enjolras looked down sadly.

"Lamarque is ill, and fading fast. They say he won't last the week." He said turning back to the crowds.

"With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day?" Marius said.

"Before we cut the fat one's down to size!" Enjolras screamed with a force of power. I smiled up at him, I couldn't have been prouder of what he was doing. He had a dream, and has done anything possible to make that happen!

"Liberty for France!" someone at the back of crowd shouted.

"Before the Barricades arise!" Everyone shouted in unison. I moved over closer to Enjolras as I listened intently to him.

"POLICE!" we heard someone called. I turned to see the Inspector followed by about seven other men on horses coming towards the crowd. Enjolras jumped off his crate and grabbed onto my hand.

"Valerie, we have to get out of here!" He said pulling me across the square, dodging carriages when I felt another hand grab onto my arm stopping us. I turned expecting it to me a police officer, only to find my father staring back at me.

"Papa!" I said shocked. I hadn't seen him since I ran out on Andre's proposal.

"Valerie! What on earth are you doing?" He said to me with a hint of anger in his voice. He looked down at mine and Enjolras' hand intertwined, anger spreading across his face.

"I would have never thought that my daughter would have run off to be with some Revolutionary!" He started yelling. Papa, had always remained calm with me. So, I was rather taken aback by his shouting.

"Papa, please." I started speaking before he cut me off.

"Papa? Only a child of mine can call me Papa. And as far as I am concerned. I no longer have any children. Because my only child ran off to fight against the government that has given her everything she had." He said as he climbed back into the carriage.

"No Papa, please! Don't do this!" I called after him, but he just ignored me. I felt Enjolras grip my hand tighter.

"Valerie! We really must go before we get caught!" Enjolras said dragging me away and out of the square.

We were the last to arrive at the Café. Enjolras went straight up to the second floor to meet with everyone after the rally. I stood outside for a minute, taking in what had just happened. I thought that I should be a complete wreck right now, after just being disowned by my own father. Someone who had been on my side my whole life, but that was gone now. Instead I felt a fire inside me, more than ever did I want to delve myself into the cause. I went to go walk into the café when out of the corner of my eye I saw Marius walking out of our apartment building. I saw him pause mid step once he was out the door, staring across the street. My eyes followed in the direction he was looking to see a beautiful girl with long blonde hair walking down the street with an older man. Her father I presumed. I walked over to Marius who was now talking to Eponine.

"Eponine, please find her for me." He begged her.

"What will you give me?" She asked smiling up at him lovingly. I felt bad for Eponine, everyone could see that she admired and loved Marius, but he was completely blind to her.

"Anything! Please help me" He pleaded, digging in his pockets.

"No, I don't want your money." She said looking down sadly and began to walk away.

"Eponine, please. I'm lost until she is found." He said looking in the direction the blond-haired girl had disappeared to.

"Alright I will see what I can do" Eponine said running off down the street. Marius smiled widely after her before turning around almost bumping into me.

"Valerie! Did you see that girl? Wasn't she the most beautiful thing you have ever seen." He smiled at me.

"Yes, she was." I said. I had never seen my friend like this before, he was completely caught up in this girl. "We should probably be going, Enjolras will be wondering where we are." I said pulling him to the Café. We ran up the stairs and took the open seats at the table next to where Enjolras was talking.

"This was the best one yet! We finally have the people on our sides, and they will stand with us when the time comes!" He beamed with pride. "We are finally ready for this revolution, all we need now is just a sign." He said finally before turning to the table where he had spread everything out on.

I began talking to Grantaire, Coufreyac and Joly. We tried to keep Marius, interest. But his mind was somewhere else. I looked over at Enjolras, who was standing alone at the table and sighed. I excused myself from the conversation and walked over towards him.

"I am so proud of you!" Said placing my hand on his arm to get his attention.

"Everything is falling into place!" He smiled up at me before turning back to the papers in front of him.

"Enjolras, why don't you take a bit of a break. It's just about supper, please come sit for a bit." I said to him.

"But there is so much to do." He started, but I cut him off. Enjolras, it can wait a bit. Please come and sit for a bit! Come spend time with your friends, with me." Pleaded him. He turned to me and sighed.

"Alright, but only for you my love." He smiled at me giving me a quick kiss. I lead him over to the table I was sitting at. I watched as Enjolras interacted with his friends. He seemed so relaxed when he was with them. And you could feel the love that they had for each other. This right here, was a real family, not like the old one I had. I smiled to myself, for the first time in a very long time I had felt at home.

A/N: SURPRISE! Here are two new chapters for you all! They are a bit shorter, but chapter six, I tried so hard, but could not make it work so that I could combine chapters six and seven. So, I had to separate them to keep the story moving and now have it drag on and on! Anyways! I hope you enjoyed this random surprise!