Chapter Twelve

We ran through the streets as people threw down furniture out of windows as we passed. The revolution had finally begun, and everyone was taking position to build their barricade. Enjolras dragged me through the winding streets of Paris to the Café Musain, the rest of the Les Amis following closely behind us. Upon arrival Enjolras stopped a few feet away from the café as Marius ran in.

"Alright my love, go up to the second floor and help Marius throw down the guns and clear out any furniture you can lift!" He said kissing my cheek before running off to help the men gather the items that had started pouring out of the windows. I ran up the steps of the cafe to help Marius. We quickly started grabbing all the weapons we had prepared and tossed them to the waiting men below.

Once everyone had their weapon of choice Marius and I started throwing the tables and chairs out the window.

"We need all the furniture you can throw down! Throw anything you have!" Courfeyrac called out to the people in the windows surrounding the street. Everything crashing down on to the pavement below.

Quickly the barricade started to take form blocking off the street completely. Marius and I had completely emptied out the second floor to the café, and ran down to help finish placing the last few things on top. As I exited the café, I noticed a younger looking boy helping to pile chairs on the top. I looked at him intently because he looked oddly familiar. I took in the features of the boy as he turned towards me. That is when it hit me, that was not a boy. I ran over to the person grabbing them by the arm.

"Eponine? What are you doing?" I asked her looking down at her clothing.

"This was the only way I could think of to protect Marius. He wouldn't let me come here if I didn't disguise myself." She explained. I smiled and pulled her in for a hug.

"I'm glad you're here!" I said. She and I had grown rather close over the last few months, seeing as we were the only women within the group.

"Valerie, you cannot let anyone know it's me. Marius will be sure to send me away." She said seriously. I just nodded and Eponine ran off to finish helping the barricade. I was helping Eponine stack more furniture on top of the barricade when we heard Enjolras shouting.

"I need a volunteer to go to the enemy lines and find out their plans for attacking!" He called to everyone around the barricade at they continued to pile it higher, and higher. No one was volunteering until an older gentleman spoke up.

"I can find out the truth, I know their ways." He said turning towards Enjolras. "I've fought their wars, and served my time in the days of my youth." He explained.

"Thank you, Monsieur.' Enjolras said placing a hand on the man's shoulder.

"See the people unite!" Jehn said patting the man on the back

"I pray your right." Grantaire said sarcastically as he took a swig from his bottle of wine.

"Dogs will bark" Combeferre said going over to the man and handing him a musket.

"Fleas will bite!" Gavroche cheers from the spot he had perched himself on the barricade.

"They will do what is right!" Barhole said. I watched at the old man looked around at everything around him before he slipped through the small space some of the men had made by pushing a cart out of the way. I saw him turn back once more before disappearing down the street and out of sight. I ran back into the café and grabbed the red flag as we finished the barricade. I went over to Enjolras and handing him the flag as he kissed me on the cheek. He took the flag from me, as he and Marius climbed their way to the top of the Barricade, placing it right on top, this was the finishing touch, the sign of the revolution.