The Audition

I take a deep breath and step forward to the panel of judges. My hands fumbled for my sheet music, form, and headshot out of my favorite purple canvas bag. I usually was never this nervous for an audition, but this one was a big deal; it could impact my entire future. I hand the judge with the short blonde hair and oversized glasses my form and headshot while I hand my sheet music to the accompanist at the piano. I move my chocolate brown hair out of my face and smooth down my blue lace dress and wait for them to look up from reviewing my forms.

    After what seems like an eternity, the judges finally make eye contact with me. The judge with the blonde hair and oversized glasses smiles kindly. "Alright, what is your name, and what will you be singing for us?" I place my hands down at my sides to keep from shaking. I smile confidently but not in a vain way. 

"My name is Hannah Stuart, and I will be singing Still Hurting from the musical The Last Five Years." I nod for the accompanist to start playing.

        I hear the starting notes of the song begin to play, and my heart is beating so fast that it's almost deafening, but I take deep breaths to slow down my heartbeat. I began to sing, and I immersed myself in character to put on the best performance of my ability. I feel so happy, but this was supposed to be a sad song about heartbreak; I had to be the actress they wanted to see.

As I sing the last note of the song, I feel exhilarated. The judges clapped as I bowed politely.

     "That was lovely, Miss Stuart. We'll let you know." I picked up my bag and my sheet music and smiled. "Thank you for your time." I walked out the door of the audition room. I feel like a warrior that just endured an epic adventure!

   My best friend Mike was waiting for me; he had just finished his audition. He was a good friend for waiting for me. 

"How did it go?" he asked with a smile. I grinned. "I think that was my best yet!" he picked me up and spun me around in a hug. 

I was laughing as he turned me. "That's great, Han!" "Thank you. How did yours go?" I asked. He grinned his adorable boyish grin. "I think that was my best as well. It was such a rush!" he was so excited like a little boy in a candy store. 

"Our dreams are preordained to come true," I said, smiling. I was so grateful to share this experience with Mike. "Let's go celebrate our successful auditions," he said, linking arms with me. 

"I concur," I said, grinning. Nothing could make me happier during that moment.

We decided to celebrate our auditions at the local frozen yogurt place by our performing arts school, and we were regulars there. I ordered mint chocolate while Mike ordered strawberry.

         We sat at our usual spot in the restaurant. It was by the window where the sun wasn't in our eyes; we hated that. "How do you think you did?" Mike asked as he took a bite of his frozen yogurt. 

"I felt like I did well. It was such an exhilarating experience. That's why I love singing. It helps me escape reality for a while." I chuckled. 

"I know that has to be the cheesiest thing I've ever said." I grinned sheepishly. 

Mike smiled. "No, it's awesome. I feel the same way. Music is an amazing thing." I smiled back. "How do you think you did?" I asked, not wanting to be rude. 

He thought for a minute, "I'm pretty sure I did well. I was kinda nervous." he rotated the emerald ring that Mike wore on his index finger; it was a habit that occurred when he was stressed.

    I touched his arm. "I'm sure you did amazing. You're so talented. You'll be the next Hugh Jackman." Mike smiled his boyish smile.

"Thanks, Han," "Of course."

 "What would I do without you?" he asked most dramatically. "I don't know how you have survived this long without me!" I answered even more dramatically. I used my napkin to fan myself for emphasis, and this was one of the things that made us click so well as friends. 

We supported each other even when we were in competitive settings like auditions, and we weren't afraid to act like dorks no matter the environment. That was what made us do so well in theatre; we weren't scared to perform. We were so confident that nothing could tear us apart. He was like my brother I always wanted.
After we hung out at the frozen yogurt shop, I drove back home. I lived in a small house in Queens with my mother. My father left when I was very young, which made me turn to music. It helped me escape the cruel world for just a moment; I always found that strangely poetic. Music has the power to influence the mind and the soul. I love making people happy with my singing. That's why I started performing musical theatre.
I parked my car in the leaf-covered driveway and walked up the path to the front door. I opened the door and walked in. Mom was sitting on the couch reading a book, which was probably a romance novel.

         "Hey Hannah, how was your audition?" she asked as I sat down next to her. I smoothed down my dress. "It was great. I felt it was my best one yet!" I said enthusiastically. 

"That's wonderful! When do you think you'll hear back?" she asked, joining me in my enthusiasm. "Honestly, it could be any day. Audition results could take forever." I answered.

That was my most minor favorite part of auditions, the waiting. "Well, whatever happens, I'm very proud of you," Mom said, ruffling my hair. She always did that. "Aw, Mom," I said humorously, fixing my hair back into place. We both laughed. 

    Ever since Dad left, we had to stick together because we only had each other.
I hoped that something extraordinary would happen to us after the heartbreak and pain we've been through, but I couldn't keep dwelling on the past. The divorce occurred seven years ago. Now that I'm seventeen, I needed to be brave not only for my mother but for myself. Music has given me that opportunity, but still, we could use a bit of happiness.
          I have so many dreams that I want to make accurate, and the one I'm currently trying to achieve is to get into NYU. It's a great school that has a phenomenal musical theatre program. If I get into the program, then I would be on my way to great things. Dad has always said it was a pipe dream, but I wasn't going to let his words stop me from taking charge of my destiny.