Chapter 50

1 March 1994
Hi Sweetie,
Hope you're doing well. We heard from Anthony this week. He found the stuff you were asking him to research for Oliver's birthday present. We hope he likes it, and we've included some of the photos we took at the park. Wish him a happy birthday, for us!
Love
Mom and Dad

Hey cousin,
Long time no see. So you like this Oliver guy enough to send him a birthday present huh? Haha. Yeah, sure, I found some stuff for you. Never thought you'd like anyone more than books. Good for you. Hope he likes everything. Let me know, alright?
Anthony

Shuffling the pages around, she groaned when out of her cousin's letter fell what she'd learned from him was a 1.4 MB floppy disk. Just how was she supposed to get the research off of it here? Sighing, she set it aside. Maybe Professor Burbage could help — for once.

Hermione checked the pages again and was relieved to find actual photographs her dad had taken of their trip to Disneyland Paris, so she had something to give to Oliver.

Over the course of the next week, Hermione talked with Professor Burbage and found that in fact they did have a working Muggle computer that took the disk Anthony had sent, and that yes, they had a working printer as well. Hermione had been under the impression that electronics didn't work in the wizarding world from what she'd read in Hogwarts: A History, and learned from Professor Burbage that Professor Dumbledore, having a love for Muggle entertainment, had gotten the devices and learned how to make them work with magical fields.

After making her printouts, Hermione thanked her teacher and headed off to prepare Oliver's present.

As Oliver's birthday drew closer, Hermione became increasingly nervous. What if he didn't like her present? She waited all day trying to figure out how to give it to him when the day arrived when she finally got an idea toward dinner. Pulling out a quill, ink and parchment, she scribbled a note.

15 March 1994
Oliver,
Happy birthday!
I know you said that I didn't have to get you anything, but I do have something for you. It's not just from me, but my parents and my cousin, Anthony helped as well. Haha, even Professor Burbage and Professor Dumbledore helped if you can believe that!
Anyway, I've been trying to figure out how to give it to you and just now figured it out. Can you stay up for a bit tonight, in the common room after everyone goes to sleep? If you can meet me there, I can give you your present then.
Hermione

15 March 1994
Thank you for the birthday wishes, kitty cat. Wow, you really didn't have to go through all the trouble. To think even Professor Burbage and Professor Dumbledore helped! I can't wait to hear about it. Yes, I can wait around in the common room tonight. Even if I couldn't, I would find a way. You have me intrigued, haha.
Oliver

Hermione grinned as she read Oliver's note. She liked that he found her intriguing. Hurrying up to her dorm before dinner, she grabbed the stack of papers she had printed out in Muggle Studies, snagged one of Crookshanks old, battered feather sticks and pulled out her wand, transfiguring it into a long, bright, shiny red ribbon.

She spent some time organising the pages she printed in the most informative and interesting way she could, then she grabbed some blank parchment papers, laying them out end to end before using her wand to stitch them together where they formed a single seamless sheet.