Chapter 46

I want to apologize for this taking so long to get out. I had been going off of the HP-Lexicon, and while I don't want to talk bad about them because they are a GREAT resource for information on all things Wizarding World aside from the books themselves, their Prisoner of Azkaban calendar is off and I had to figure out how to write my story dates around the errors.

Hermione awoke on 5 November to find a parchment coloured peacock waiting for her on her nightstand and smiled, holding out her hand to it. It bobbed and weaved for a moment, fanning its tail feathers for a few moments before it hopped into her hand and lay down, unfolding itself before her eyes to reveal a letter from Oliver.

5 November 1993
Good morning lass,
How are you today? I hope you are well this morning. I apologise for not getting to write before now, particularly after our conversation on Halloween when we spent the night in the Great Hall.

Anyway, I know you asked not to talk about certain things, but I have to admit I am a bit confused by your request. Did you mean you didn't wish to speak on it at all, or just not where anyone else could overhear our conversation?
Hope you have a good day.
Oliver

Hermione sighed and let her hand fall heavily to the bed, or what she thought was the bed until she heard a disgruntled meow.

"Oh, I'm sorry Crookshanks," she apologised to the large marmalade cat that sat beside her and pet him, giving him scratches that soon had him purring. After a few minutes, she smiled down at him as he headbutted her hand. "Time for breakfast?" she asked, and laughed as he got wobbly to his feet and sprang from the bed. Swinging her legs out of bed, she dressed and fed him, putting Oliver's letter with the others in her trunk, and then packed up the books she'd need for the day. "See you later," she called to her pet as she made her way downstairs.

After breakfast, Hermione made her way to Potions and was surprised when Professor Snape barely gave anyone a chance to pack up their supplies before thrusting them, nearly bodily — from the room. She wondered what his hurry was, but didn't have to wait long because after lunch, she found herself following him to DADA class. She crept in right behind him, casting a silencing charm at the door as she opened and closed it behind her, before cancelling it quickly and moving to her desk.

"Werewolves?" Ron asked as she sat down, apparent surprise in his voice on the subject.

"But sir," Hermione said, turning to him to see his glare, which she assumed was due to her tardiness. "We just learned about Red Caps and hinkypunks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks."

"Quiet," Professor Snape said.

"When did she come in?" Ron asked, turning to Harry. "Did you see her come in?"

"Now," Professor Snape continued, heading to the front of the class as Hermione took out her book and turned to the page on werewolves. "Which one of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?"

Hermione raised her hand but the professor ignored her.

"No one?" Professor Snape asked. "How disappointing."

"Please, sir," Hermione interrupted. "An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice. With each full moon, when he transforms, he no longer remembers who he is. He'd kill his best friend if he crossed his path. Furthermore, the werewolf only responds to the call of its own kind."

Draco howled from nearby and Hermione turned to glare at him.

"Thank you, Mr Malfoy," Professor Snape said threateningly, before turning to Hermione. "That is the second time you've spoken out of turn Ms Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"