Chapter 4

Hermione hadn't written to Oliver since the night she'd fallen asleep after receiving the dragonfly. She got up and got dressed, heading down to breakfast that morning. She still wasn't talking to Harry or Ron, too annoyed that he got away with breaking the rules, and got rewarded for it.

She was surprised when not one, but two owls flew in and dropped packages for her before flying off. One she had expected, but two? Reaching for the first, she found that it was from her parents as she expected. Inside, she found a new day planner and a note. Picking up the note, she read:

Dear Sweetheart,

Happy birthday! We know it's late as your classes have already started, but maybe you can make use of this. Since you started at a new school... Well, we weren't really certain what else to get you. Hope you have a great day, and we miss you!

Love,

Mom and Dad

Hermione smiled. Yes, she could definitely make use of that, and it wasn't like her parents could go to Diagon Alley for her present without her. Setting it aside, she turned to the next package and found that it was from Oliver.

Opening it, she found another package, this one wrapped in beautiful paper that had vines that grew with flowers that blossomed as you watched. There was a note on top so she read that first.

Happy birthday, Hermione.

I haven't heard from you in a while and can only think that you are either busy with your lessons or are mad at me about Potter being made Seeker. I hope it's the latter.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten your birthday, and I got you a little something after hearing that it was one of your favourites — seeing as how it's hardly ever in the library anymore.

I wanted to remind you — in the off chance that you had forgotten something — that tomorrow I will be training Potter as Gryffindor Seeker. I also wanted to take the opportunity to invite you to come along so that we can meet in person. I will leave the decision to you. I will still be here if you want to talk if you haven't written to me because you are mad at me.

Oliver

Hermione looked up and looked around the table but didn't see anything out of the ordinary, so she turned back to the package and carefully opened it, to gasp. Inside was a brand-new copy of Hogwarts: A History.

Hermione reached into her bag, and pulled out a quill and parchment with one hand while moving her plate to the side with the other before she composed a response.

19 September 1991

Oliver,

Thank you for the birthday wishes and the present. It's wonderful. Now I can return the copy I borrowed from the library. I got a day planner from my parents. I feel so bad that they don't know what to get me anymore, and what I really would like, they can't get for me because they can't get into Diagon Alley without me.