Chapter 47

I want to apologize again for being behind. I have had a difficult time writing this (Prisoner of Azkaban) part of the story. I found out that the site I was using for calendars - HP Lexicon - while I love them and have found GOOD information while writing fandom - is incorrect when it comes to the PoA (not sure if this applies to others) calendar when it comes to the moon phases for the year that the story takes place. I have had to move activities and information around to accommodate the discrepancies. Not sure if these are from Rowling's own mistakes or not, but I try to make the story as real world as possible by using accurate calendars. Now, on with the story!

7 November 1993

Hermione found herself writing early the next morning as sky began to lighten, the predawn greyish light beginning to brighten the room before she got out of bed, and smiled as she heard Crookshanks snoring next to her. She was glad to admit that his snores were much quieter than her dorm mates, as she had long ago started casting a silencing charm on her bed hangings so that they muffled the sound allowing her to sleep.

Oliver,

She continued to write.

I forgot to tell you in last night's letter that Professor Lupin was out again in our DADA class. I hope that he's alright, but I have to admit, I am beginning to wonder. I don't want to go into it right now, until I know for certain, because I don't want to falsely accuse him and make him lose his job over anything, and honestly, he's the best we've had so far; but Professor Snape was substituting for his class and made a terrific leap in the lesson plans. He had us write an essay on werewolves, and didn't listen when I told him that we had just started learning about Red Caps and hinkypunks. Honestly, I don't think Professor Snape listens to anyone unless they are in his house, and even then it's questionable. I'm sure I'm not the only one that hopes Professor Lupin returns tomorrow, though we don't have DADA class until Thursday, the 12th. At least if he's present tomorrow for meals, there's some hope that he's alright and will return to classes. That's one thing I've noticed... and while I don't want to put too fine a point on it yet, it is something that I find unusual. Professor Lupin seems quite ill — ill enough to be absent several days in a month — each month. I would be curious to know your thoughts on it. Hermione

Hermione nudged Crookshanks after she had finished her letter and sent it off to Oliver. He blinked sleepily and got up, yawning and stretching with a sleepy meow, making her giggle.

"Alright, you," she said to him as she affectionately scratched his chin. "Time for breakfast."

Blinking, more alertly, Crookshanks bounded from the bed making her chuckle again.

That morning as she entered the Great Hall, Hermione was pleased to see that Professor Lupin was indeed present. Sitting down for breakfast, she took out a quill and parchment and quickly penned a message. Drawing her wand, she gave the parchment a subtle poke and watched as it folded itself into an owl. "Professor Lupin," she murmured to it as she tucked her wand away again. "Off you go."

Her message took flight immediately, and she watched as it headed to the teacher's table, landing in front of Professor Lupin who looked at it curiously for a moment before reaching out and touching it so that it fell open before him. Looking up, he met her gaze and gave a slight nod of his head. She smiled, and tucked into her meal, content for now that soon her questions would be answered.

Later that day, closer to dinner when Hermione had a free period, she met with Professor Lupin in his classroom.

"Ah, Ms Granger," Professor Lupin said, after calling the knocker to enter. "You wished to meet with me?"