Chapter 40

Professor McGonagall moved swiftly toward the Gryffindor entrance to the Quidditch Pitch, an anxious look on her face. She was just descending the stairs from the pitch after talking with Professor Sprout, who had headed off immediately to speak with Madam Hooch and have her own team called down after noticing that they'd already begun flying laps around the pitch to warm up.

"Professor McGonagall," Oliver said in slight confusion upon seeing her as he exited the Gryffindor tent followed by the rest of the team where they had just been discussing their strategy for the upcoming game.

"This match has been cancelled," Professor McGonagall said, seeing no point in dillydallying.

"We can't cancel Quidditch," Oliver said, feeling his hopes for the team's victory in the Quidditch Cup wane.

"Silence, Wood," Professor McGonagall said, ending the argument before it began. "You and your teammates will go to Gryffindor tower. Now. You are to wait there until I come and get you, is that clear?"

Oliver nodded looking glum and led the team away.

"Potter," Professor McGonagall said, delaying Harry from following. "You and I will find Mr Weasley before we return to the castle. There's something you need to see."

It didn't take them long to find Ron. He was coming down the stairs from the stands with Hagrid, looking disappointed.

"Thank you, Hagrid," Professor McGonagall said before the boy could begin ranting about the cancelled game.

"Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said with a nod before he lumbered off toward his hut.

"Come along, both of you," Professor McGonagall said. "And please be quick about it. I want to be in and out before the rest of the house gets to the dorms."

"Professor?" Harry asked curiously.

"We are going up to retrieve Mr Wood," Professor McGonagall replied. "All will be explained once he has joined us. Now, come along."

Harry and Ron never knew just how fast Professor McGonagall could walk until they found themselves hard-pressed to keep up with her without jogging. They exchanged looks on the way, but didn't voice their concerns as they put their focus and effort on not falling behind and not getting reprimanded.

"Oliver Wood," Professor McGonagall called as entered the tower common room. "Come with me please."

Oliver stood from where he'd been talking quietly with the twins, going over various scenarios as to what could possibly cancel a Quidditch match, and joined the Professor, looking questioningly to Harry and Ron behind her. Harry and Ron both shrugged at the unspoken question however.

"The rest of you are to remain here," Professor McGonagall announced. "I have warned the Fat Lady that she is to open for no one exiting the common room. Your housemates will be joining you shortly. I will do my best to provide explanations upon our return."

"Professor," Oliver asked as they headed down the stairs once more.

"Not now, Wood," Professor McGonagall said.

The three students followed their Head of House in silence, but didn't see their housemates pass as Professor McGonagall led them off the Grand Staircase along another route. It wasn't long until they stopped at the infirmary doors.

"I warn you," Professor McGonagall said as they entered. "This could come as a wee bit of a shock."

Oliver swallowed thickly and paled when he saw the feet and legs of a young girl. He didn't have to see her face to know just who it was. Why else would he have been called?