Chapter Thirty Eight

I stood there motionless as I watched him get into his car and drive off furiously. I didn't move until his car was completely out of sight. I guess there was a part of me that thought that he might turn around. I was so used to Jack coming around in the end, that it was hard to see him legitimately walk out on us.

When I realized he wasn't turning back, I made my way back into the cafeteria.

Piper and Courtney were waiting for me with excited anticipation which was clearly show by the grins on their faces. I sighed deeply, emotionally drained from the last 10 minutes. I sat down opposite them, leaning on my hands. Their smiles faded, as they noticed there was something wrong. "What happened? Please tell me you guys sorted everything out" Courtney asked longingly.

I shook my head silently. "What happened?" Piper asked me. I sighed tiresomely. "I told him about Sam.." I said focusing on my hands. "You what?!" I both asked completely shocked. "I had to! he would have found out sooner or later" I told them. "What did he say?" Courtney asked me impatiently.

"He went insane..like insane. He wouldn't even let me explain, he just got in the car and drove off". "So what does that mean?" Piper asked me frowning in confusion. "Well he pretty much said we're over" I said shrugging. "What? Like over over?" Courtney asked me. "Like over over" I repeated. "Do you think it's the real thing?" Piper asked me. "I don't think, I know" I told her. There was a silence amongst the 3 of us as none of us knew exactly what to say.

"Look guys, I don't mean to be rude, but I just need to be alone right now, so I'm going to go to bed. I'll see you guys tomorrow" I said getting up from the table. "It will all be alright okay Kendall?" Courtney. I nodded to be polite but I didn't agree with her even a little bit. 

It seemed as soon as I got through the door my phone began to ring. "Hello?" I answered it. "Hey Kendall, it's Mom" The voice said. I sighed loudly. "Hi.." I said waiting for her to say something. "How is it going on down there?" She asked me. "Great, it's my life dream" I said sarcastically. "Kendall..it's for your own good, you needed a break from J-" I began but I cut her off "From Jack, yeah Mom that won't be a problem we broke up" I spat sourly at her.

"Oh..Honey..I'm so sorry" She said which just wasn't enough for me. "No you're not, this was you're intentions from the start, well congratulations, you got exactly what you wanted" I said before hanging up the phone.

 It had been exactly a month since Jack and I broke up. We hadn't spoken since that day. I had dialed his number numerous times and written him paragraph long texts saying how much I wanted him back and how sorry I was, but I knew it wouldn't be any use. So I never sent them. I knew Jack to well by now and I knew that this time I had pushed him as far as he would go.

I hadn't spoken to anyone from home this month. Mom and Sam had called a few times but I ignored all of them. I knew all my Mom would be saying his how she's sorry about me and Jack when I knew she wasn't. I also knew that no matter what Sam and I talked about, it would always somehow come back to Jack. 

This past month I kind of just became numb to everything. For over 6 months Jack was all I ever thought about. Whether we were together or not he was always on my mind. But now I was without the possibility that we were going to get back together so I didn't really have anything to focus on anymore.

I knew I had changed, but I couldn't help it. When you're focused on one person for such a long time and then they're just gone right out of your life, it's hard not too. 

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the girls from school with me. They were so supportive and were always there when I needed to talk, which I didn't want to do often.

It was a typical Sunday afternoon. I was sitting in my dorm, catching up on some homework, when my phone went off. I picked it up, checking who it was, expecting it to be either my Mom or Sam. It was a unknown number so I decided to answer it. As stupid as it seems, there was a part of me that though that there was even a slight possibility that it could be Jack, but of course it wasn't.

"Hello?" I asked as I picked up the phone. "Hey! Is this Kendall?" The high pitched voice said. "Yeah..who is this?" I asked in confusion. "It's Maggie silly, remember me?" She joked. "Yeah of course, sorry I didn't recognize your voice" I told her honestly. "It's okay. So how have you been?" She asked me. "Good you know under the circumstances" I told in relation to my change of scenery.

"Yeah how is your new school?" She asked me. "Good, the girls here are really nice so it's not that bad" I told her. "Great.." She said which was followed by a long awkward silence. "Maggie, I don't mean to be rude, but you haven't talked to me in months, even before I left so eh why are you calling me?" I asked trying to sound as polite as possible.

"Actually there is something I wanted to tell you.." She said to me. "It's about Jack.." She said and I immediately cut her off. "Maggie, we're actually not together anymore" I told her but she cut me off.

"Yeah I know I know..it's just he's changed a lot" She told me. "Well people change, that's life" I spat back at her. "Kendall this is serious, he's gone back to the way he was before he met you, maybe even worse" She said in a serious tone. "No offence Maggie but that is literally none of my business I haven't talked to him in weeks. So why would you think I would care if he has changed?" I asked her.

"Kendall I know we haven't talking in months, but we were best friends once. I know you. and I know you care about Jack. I know things ended badly with you two but I think you should seriously think about coming home for a bit" She told me.

I paused for a moment. "Thanks for the heads up but my life is down here now" I said before hanging up not wanting to spend any excess time talking about Jack.