Chapter Twelve

As soon as I got through the door I heard Lexi call out for me. “Kendall is that you?” she yelled from the kitchen but I just ignored her. I could hear her footsteps coming down the hallway. “Hey where did you go?” She said as she came closer to me. I just stood there glaring at her."What’s wrong?" she said looking concerned. “I know what you did” I said between my teeth. "What? What did I do?" She said looking confused. “Don’t give me that, you know exactly what you did. You told Jack to break up with me” I said raising my voice slightly.

"Kendall just calm d-" She began. “No I will not calm down, who gave you the right to get involved with my personal life?” I said yelling at her. “I’m your sister! I was just looking out for you! and beside I told him to break up with you not to cheat on you” She replied to me raising her voice to. "That doesn’t matter! you still interfered with my life and now you’ve ruined our relationship!" I yelled at her. “Don’t be dramatic, I’m sure you and Jack can still be friends or something?” She suggested. “I wasn’t talking about mine and Jack’s relationship” I said glaring at her. "What’s that suppose to mean?" She said following me up the stairs. "It means you’re sly and I don’t want anything to do with you. Don’t talk to me unless it’s absolutely necessary" I said slamming the door in her face.

She began banging on the door. “Kendall come on, I’m sorry I shouldn’t have done that I know, but there will be other boys” She told me. “Just leave me alone!” I shouted back to her. Eventually she gave up and left me alone.

The next day, I wasn’t sure if Sam was giving me a ride to school so I just decided to walk. I left early so that I wouldn’t run into Lexi. I dragged myself through the school hallway, opening my locker and taking out my books. I felt someone stand behind me and I knew exactly who it was without even turning around. I sighed as I waited for him to say something. "I broke up with Sophie" was all I heard. I stood with my back to him, contemplating how to reply. “Jack that doesn’t change anything” I said shaking my head as I turned around. 

He gave me a disappointed nod as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I just thought you should know" He said. I nodded as I held my books close to my chest. We both stayed silent for a moment just staring at each other before Jack spoke. "I didn’t get a chance to tell you last night but I think you should know, I’ll always love you, you’ll always be the one who got away and I hope you and Sam are really happy together and that he treats you right because you deserve it" He said half smiling. I could feel the tears in my eyes but I held them back.

 I said nothing just embraced him into a tight hug. I never wanted to let go, I missed this. I missed the way his chin fit perfectly on the top of my head when we hugged. The way he would gently rub my back, I missed him. I broke the hug looking up at him. "You’re a good guy Jack" I said smiling up at him. He chuckled to himself. “I got to get to class, I’ll see you later” He said punching my arm lightly. I turned back to my locker and felt two arms wrap around my waist.

"Hey Babe" I heard Sam whisper in my ear. I smiled as I turned to face him. "Hey" I said wrapping my arms around his neck. “Where were you?” I asked him. He stiffened slightly. “Oh I was just at the doctors” he said smiling. "Weren’t you just there yesterday?" I said looking at him in confusion. "Eh yeah but I missed my appointment so I had to go today" He said casually. "Alright okay" I said not exactly convinced. “I have to go to class” I said kissing him lightly before walking to class.

At lunch I decided to sit with Maggie since it would be awkward sitting with Jack and Sam now that Jack and Sophie broke up. "Did you hear about Sophie and Jack?" Maggie said with a grin on her face. “Yeah” I said trying to play it down. "Are you going to get back with him now?" she asked me. "No why would I do that?" I replied. After a few minutes I just couldn’t handle all of the stupid questions. I got up and headed down the hallway to get my book for my next class. I overheard a voice I recognised around the corner. "How am I suppose to tell her? she’ll never understand" I heard Sam say. I walked around and he quickly hung up, fixing his hair awkwardly.

"Hey how long have you been there for?" He asked anxiously. "I just got here" I lied."Alright, well I have to go to class, I’ll see you later" He said said kissing me lightly before walking away. I leaned against the locker trying to figure out who he was on the phone to and why.