Smile, Chapter 3

I shook my little brother as hard as I possibly could when i heard banging emerging from downstairs. It was 3am, and Dad only came in this late when he'd been drinking. He'd been out since I screamed at him and that was over 5 hours ago. So unless he was having a nice little fuck, he was drinking. And after seeing his violent drunken behaviour for 2 years, I'd learned that in this situation, I had to get Alex out.

"What?" He whimpered, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. He looked terrified, which he shouldn't be. He should know by now that I would never let anyone hurt him. I'd kill them before they so much as looked at him in the wrong way. "Mikey..?"

"Karen!" Dad's drunken voice boomed up the stairs and Alex threw himself into my arms, shaking violently. Even before what happened to my brother, my Dad had always been a violent drunk. He drunk a bit after the incident, but then he stopped. So that meant that when he did drink, he drunk a lot. "Karen where the fuck are you?!"

"Come on Alex," I urged and pulled him up out of bed. "Get some clothes on and stay close to me, ok? We're getting the fuck out of here,"

"But Mom-"

"Never gave a shit when he raised a fist to us?" I raised an eye-brow. "She'll be fine Alex, but you wont. We need to go,"

"Where?"

"I dunno. Just out of here,"

I tossed him a pair of my skinny jeans and he slipped into them just as quickly as he threw on a pokemon shirt which was cute as hell on him. Normally I'd wear the same as him, but Sonic was so much better than Pokemon. We always used to fight about that, still did really. I was all blue hedgehogs are sexy and great for masochists in sex, and he was all GOTTA CATCH ALL THEM STDS. Until what happened of course. Now he didn't talk about sex, at all.

"Come on," once he pulled a Suicide Silence hoodie on, I grabbed his hand and pulled him close to me. His fingers were shaking in mine and that made my heart break. Actually, a lot of things Alex did made my heart break. Not all because they were sad, but because he was just so cute it literally tore me in two.

"Mikey I'm scared," he whimpered; sounding like a little kid as we stepped out of our bedroom. I didn't say anything, just pulled him even closer to me if that were possible. We were already as physically close as humans could get without having sex.

Approaching the stairs, I tried not to react to Alex whimpering. I had to be the strong one. And even though I could see Dad's body leaning over the fireplace, touching a family picture of all of us on the counter, no matter how much I wanted to break down to it, I didn't. I had to be the strong one. I had to protect Alex. No one else would.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Dad growled, making the both of us jump. I recomposed myself quickly as I stepped down the last step, but Alex hung onto me and hid his face, whimpering like fuck. I needed to get him out of here before he had a freaking panic attack or something. That had actually happened a few times. Alex was just naturally scared even before what happened to him. I'd always been the strong one. Hell, I felt like I was only born to protect my little brother.

"Get back in bed," Dad muttered and glared at us when we didn't move. "Didn't you hear me?! I said get back in your fucking bed!"

"We're just going out for a minute," I said quietly; not looking him in the eye. I wasn't normally scared of my Dad but when he was drunk and pissed, he was scary. I was scared of what he would do to me but more importantly what he would do to little Alex. "We'll be back soon, I promise.."

"Well where the fuck are you going?"

"Just out,"

"No you're fucking not! Get back in bed!"