5: University

[Baldi's POV]

I sighed, fiddling with a pencil as my professor droned on and on about topics I already know. Sure, university is fun at times, and I'm learning a lot, but it's so boring. I have repeatedly wished I was back at the schoolhouse, teaching my class in room ninety-nine.

Yeah, I missed the schoolhouse. A lot. And, of course, the people in it. I missed Playtime, and First Prize, and Gotta Sweep, and Princi...

It hurt so much to leave him. I mean, at first, I thought university would be a good thing for me, but now it just feels like a burden. It inflicted more harm on me than good.

My heart ached as I thought about Princi's cheerful, smiling face greeting me every morning and chatting with me at lunch. We were such good friends, and I missed him terribly...

"Baldimore? Baldimore!" my professor called, trying to get my attention. 

I blinked, looking up at him. "What is it?" I asked sourly. "It's not like I'm learning anything right now."

The professor rolled his eyes and stalked away, giving up on trying to get me to focus. What? I already know the material; what's the point of relearning it?

Once class was over, I went back to my house. My other class didn't matter that day. I simply wanted a day to feel sorry for myself. Mental health days matter too, right?

I curled up on the couch with a blanket and stared numbly at nothing in particular. I really wanted to check up on Princi, but I had no way of contacting him...

My condition spiralled downwards after that. My whole weekend was spent either in bed or on the couch. I cried many tears, feeling terribly guilty for leaving so abruptly. I regretted my decision so much.

I stopped going to my classes about a week later. I was no longer sleeping well, my head ached from dehydration, and I felt feverish. I didn't know if I was sick or simply deteriorating, but I barely remembered anything from that phase anyway.

In other words, I was depressed. My only hope was that Princi was doing better than I was. Oh, how wrong I was...

To Be Continued...