Chapter 34

34.

I didn't recognize the guy I saw in front of me.

The switch had gone off and when the light came back on, I saw someone else entirely. I couldn't tell when the lights had gone black, but I could tell you when they'd come on.

It was eleven o'clock at night. The music was blaring from speakers and the lights were bright. I'd never been at the club before. Scantily dressed young men prowled around the club and older men followed them and bought them drinks. I'd been at a lot of clubs including gay clubs but this one looked trashy. It wasn't my idea of a night out but Ross had insisted.

As far as I knew Ross didn't drink enough to get drunk. He didn't smoke either. That night he did both. He drank back to back glasses of beer (stuff he'd once told me is icky) and had suddenly developed a taste for nicotine. He'd found a way to handle his cigarettes but I wasn't impressed.

"I think you might want to slow down on the alcohol," I told him while standing at the bar after he'd ordered another glass of beer.

"Hey, that's my line," he said pushing me slightly. His voice was too loud I winced slightly.

I looked at the glass of vodka in my hand. "You've had more drinks than me."

"Are you counting?"

"I'm just saying, slow down. You don't even like beer," I said.

"Relax and have fun Sebby. You're going to college!" he said and picked up the glass of beer the bartender had put on the counter.

I just looked at him.

"I can afford to kill a few brain cells," he said with an exaggerated chuckle. He stopped suddenly. "Oooh, that guy is hot."

"Huh?"

"The guy who just walked in, keep up Sebby! I could totally bend over for him," he said.

I rolled my eyes before looking at the guy Ross was talking about. He was masculine and good-looking in a rugged way. He looked to be in his thirties with dark black hair and a moustache. I'd seen him outside the club when we walked in talking to some guy.

"He seems..." I started talking, but Ross handed me his glass.

"I'm going to say hi," he said and walked away from me.

I was stunned. Ross told me he hated interactions with people and now he was heading towards some masculine guy with some steroid-induced biceps. He was heading towards a guy he said he'd bend over for.

I grit my teeth as I watched the unfolding scene. When Ross got to the guy he touched him slightly on his unnatural bicep and stood on his tiptoes to whisper something in the guy's ear. The guy chuckled slightly and put his arm around Ross, lowering it slowly until he got to his ass. I was certain it wasn't the trick of the light when I saw the hand squeeze Ross's butt-cheek. Ross just stood there. He didn't try to get out of the man's embrace or reprimand him for it. In fact he seemed to be enjoying it.

The guy said something and Ross chuckled. I felt a light pain on my jaw and realized I was gritting my teeth too hard. I couldn't believe the scene I was seeing in front of me. I emptied my vodka and Ross's beer as well, gulping them down one after another. It was a terrible combination but I didn't care.

Staring was rude but I couldn't tear my eyes away from Ross and the guy. I watched as the guy delved into his pockets to retrieve something. He handed it to Ross and Ross welcomed it. If someone handed me binoculars I'd be eternally grateful because I couldn't see what they'd exchanged. They were standing several feet from me. The light there wasn't that bright.