Chapter 24

24.

I wasn't a formal dance party kind of person. I wasn't a suit and tie kind of person. I hated dress shoes and wanted to take them off the moment I put them on. They looked ridiculous. I looked somewhat decent in a navy blue double breasted blazer and navy pants. My shirt was white and the tie blue with white dots.

Ross had lavished me with different suits to wear. He'd presented them in ways that sounded handsome, but when I put them on I felt like an ogre. His frustration when I finally picked out something that seemed to look good vanished immediately. You could tell he'd been about to quit and give up on going to the ball.

I wanted him to go to the ball. It occurred to me that he was choosing to attend the ball this time so something was different. He was choosing to interact with his staff. I couldn't be the obstacle to something so profound. So I smiled and said yes to the outfit after putting it on. I didn't look terrible and to fulfill Ross's fantasies, the blazer was slim-fit.

We hired a limousine to take us to the venue. I didn't mind driving but Ross politely reminded me that I was loose with the booze and the booze was free that night. I couldn't promise being sober on the journey home.

The car stopped in front of a long red carpet. I was surprisingly nervous about getting out of it. I'd never been to such a lavish event before. I wasn't a RossTech employee, despite what Ross wanted to think. I'd only met some people Ross worked with and under very embarrassing circumstances. I could still see the horror in their faces when they found Ross and I in the boardroom with Ross's pants around his knees. Ross's words hadn't helped the situation.

My intestines slowly but surely tied themselves into a knot. I couldn't face those people.

"We're here," Ross said enthusiastically. I could tell he was waiting for me to get out of the limo.

I didn't want to.

"Seb, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine," I said dismissively.

"You should probably get out now," he said.

"Aren't you nervous? Aren't you supposed to be nervous?"

"I have a hot guy with me, what's there to be nervous about?" he said.

I suddenly realized something. Ross was using me as a pawn. I wasn't at the event as a RossTech employee. I was his date.

"Wait. Whoa. I'm not your date. This is not a date," I said quickly.

He smiled. "I never said it was. We're not even matching, are we?"

I narrowed my eyes. "After what you said in that boardroom everyone here probably thinks we came here together as each other's dates."

"Oh relax Sebby, they don't think like that at all," he simply said.

"I hope not. I'm not your date," I reiterated.

"I know," he said with a smirk. "Now, get out. I'd like to get harassed by the paparazzi before the event starts."

I let out a frustrated sigh and realized the door was already open. Someone had opened it and was waiting for me to exit. I groaned at the intrusion and slid out of my seat.

The night air was cold. There was a slight breeze blowing. There were already people on the red carpet. I realized a bunch of people were posing as the paparazzi and taking numerous pictures. It was made to look like the real Oscars. I was ushered onto the carpet by a men dressed in what looked like an usher's suit. He even had a nametag.