Chapter 28

28.

Nasir was grateful I'd brought Ross home. He was of course concerned with the bleeding eyebrow so when Ross pretended not to hear his concern I took it upon myself to address it, pulling Ross upstairs with me.

We got into the bathroom and I pulled out a first aid kit.

"I can take care of myself just fine without you," he mumbled.

"Sure," I said and put my hands on his waist, lifting him up to the bathroom countertop.

I put on gloves and wiped the dried up blood from the side of his face. I cleaned his wound with antiseptic and put a butterfly band-aid.

"There you go! You look badass," I joked.

He just looked at me. "Why are you here?" he said after a short silence.

I took off the gloves and threw them in the bin, turning on the faucet to wash my hands.

"I came back to return your money. I can't take it. It was selfish of me to take it the first time. When I got here Nasir told me you went out so I went looking for you. I was worried," I replied slowly.

"I don't need the money. Take it"

I dried my hands with a towel and pulled him down so his feet touched the ground. "I don't want it."

"You need it," he said.

"I've always needed it. Doesn't mean I deserve it. And you haven't just now realized I need it. This is about Nasir," I said softly.

His lips compressed into a thin line. He started walking away. I grabbed his hand. He stopped but didn't turn. I laced my fingers with his and pulled him to me.

"I know it makes sense running away from the pain but it's a temporary fix. This isn't going away," I said softly.

His lower lip trembled. "Let me be," he said.

"Should I let you be self-destructive?"

"Yes!" he hissed. I saw the tears welling up in his eyes.

"You're losing someone you spent four years with, but Ross Nasir is still alive. You have time with him. I know it isn't going to make up for all the times you thought you had but you still have some. You..." I said and he cut in.

"You don't know what it's like losing the only person in the world who's ever cared about you!" he snapped.

The tears finally rolled down his cheeks. I pulled him more towards me and he took reluctant steps forward. His chest crushed into mine. I wrapped my arms around him tightly.

"I can't say I do," I whispered.

We stayed silent. I could feel his chest falling and rising rapidly. He was finally crying. I massaged his back to comfort him.

"Nasir is like a dad to me. I don't tell him how much I love him because it's so hard for me but I love him very much. He's just been there and he's never judged me. I don't know what I'm gonna do without him," he cried.

I swallowed thickly. "Let him know you love and appreciate everything he's done for you. Spend time with him. Take it one day at a time."

"I can't lose him Sebastian!"

"I know, I know," I repeated softly. My heart was breaking with every second that passed. Ross's sobs were agonizingly raw and heart-rending. I couldn't see his face. I thought if I saw his face my eyes would match his.

"Is he happy?" he asked quietly.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not asking if he's happy with dying. I'm asking if he is happy with his life with me. Does he feel like he wasted his life?"